Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

elk calls

duckhunt

I was just watching RMEF elk calling championship on youtube and a thought crossed my mind. I havent been elk hunting yet so im not sure how it sounds in the wild, but I was wondering how many hunters have been fooled by another hunter making calls when thinking it was a real elk. Come on guys, I want to hear some stories.

Just over a decade ago during my first elk foray, everything (crows, squirrels skittering...etc) sounded like elk to this dumbass Texan..mostly because I wanted it to be so. I did muff an opportunity on a decent first bull thinking I could stop it with a well known squeeze call.

I've called in other hunters, I've come VERY close to sneaking up on another hunter who was calling but never done it, but I had a nice bull shot out from under me because I was positive that it was another hunter bugling because there was no way that crappy sounding bugle was coming from a real elk.

I called in a guy from Minnesota this fall with a cow call. His bugle sounded like someone gut punched him. all I can say is that I'm glad it was archery season!

I have called people in, and have lost opportunities at shots because I could have sworn that donkey-braying terrible sound could not have possibly been an elk until it walked out. You never know, but I have learned that it is worth the possible embarrassment of coming in to someone calling to make sure it is not an elk. Some elk just don't sound like elk.

Yet to go elk hunting, but I do like to practice my bugling outside at night to bewilder my neighbors..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back