Elk Ammo Help Needed

TNHUNTER

I'm trying to decide between two 7mm rem mag loads for elk. I've heard good and bad about both and need opinions/experience. This is my 1st elk hunt and want to have full confidence in these loads. I'm located in TX and hear locally about deer hunting, not elk. I hear that the Hornday tends to disintegrate when it strikes bone (anyone have experience here??). My gun likes the 150 grain version of the Winchester Super X so thinking this (the 175 grain) may be a good option as well.

Ammo #1 Hornady 162 grain BTSP
Ammo #2 Winchetsr Super X 175 grain. My gun "likes" the 150 grain version so leaning this way.

I'm open to other suggestons as well. Thanks...

My gun shoots the partition very well but once the factory stuff runs out on my shelf it'll be 160 accubonds they devestate in my 300

IMO both of those loads are more for deer than elk - I favor something a little tougher. I have had good luck with the accubonds, and the barnes tsx, both 160 gr, in Federal. Also the trophy bonded tip.

Have taken all my elk with the Fed Prem 165 gr Sierra Game King. My rifle drives tacks with this load for factory ammo.

I think you could probably just use the 150gr Win Power Points. They're actually a pretty tough bullet. I saw one pulled out of a 6x7 bull elk once. You could have put it in a magazine ad. It was shot from a 7mm Rem Mag too.

160 grain Nosler Partition. You can't go wrong.

I second the 160 Partition. It is THE load for the 7 mag as far as I am concerned. Whatever you pick, it should be a tougher bullet than what you mentioned. Those bullets work fine on deer, but are just OK if you are going after elk. This question gets asked about every other day and the bottom line is that elk are tough and there is no reason to shoot a marginal bullet, as the added expense of the premiums is well worth it.

A friend of mine would not take the 162 Hornady if you gave them to him. He shot a bull elk several times with them from a 7 mag and they did not hold together. I don't remember if he finally got the bull, but that was the last time he ever tried those bullets on elk. I am a fan of Hornady bullets overall, but after what he told me, I would use them only for deer -if at all.

Nosler Accubonds or Partitions, Barnes, North Fork, etc. is the way to go for elk.

Thanks all... I've heard too many storeis of the 162 grain BTSP coming apart on elk since asking around. I did pick up a box of the 160 gr Nosler Partition (see 2 posts confiring as a good bullet) and the gun likes them ok - about a 2" group at 100 yards which I'm not crazy about. 2 questions come to mind with that. What is an acceptable grouping for a bullet (likely many opinions here) and anyone have experience with the Barnes triple shock 160 gr? I may just get a box and see how they fly...

I would try a Barnes TSX, they have always worked well for me. I shot my first and only elk with one, 130 grain out of a 270, complete pass through after breaking one shoulder, bull went about 20 yards. The TSX also groups well out of my rifle. Whatever load you go with I would get a premium bullet, Nosler,Trophy bonded tip, etc.

... and anyone have experience with the Barnes triple shock 160 gr? I may just get a box and see how they fly...

I haven't shot the 160-grain, but have shot 150, 165 and 180 in .30-06. I killed both a muley and an elk last season with the 150, and am carrying the same load this year. Both bullets were complete pass-throughs on the animals, so I couldn't recover the bullets for inspection. The elk was at a bit over 170 yards, and the bullet shattered a vertebrae. Instant kill. I have recovered a few Barnes bullets from dirt berms at the range and all have been intact.

I personally use the Nosler Accubond bullet for all of my hunting except prairie dog hunting. For my 338 wing mag I use the 225 gr. bullet and 110 gr for my 25.06, I gave some 225 gr 338 win mag rounds to my friend in Alaska. Usually when they shoot a Moose the put one in the brisket and a follow up shot in the neck to kill it. When he shot his Moose with the 225gr Accubond, he didn't need the follow up shot. He was impressed with that round. These were all hand loads, but you can get Nosler custom loads and they do a very impressive job with their custom loads that I have used for my 308 Norma Mag. That is the route I go for all my guns. I use Vmax for the prairie dog hunting in my AR-15.

What powder did you use with the 160 partitions? I use RL25 and I get sub-minute out of my Remington SPS at 3004 fps chrono'd. Two inches will do fine for elk, but the bullet should do better. The Barnes are great bullets, especially for the higher velocity of the magnums. I had some problems with them shooting well in one rifle and not the other and so I went to Interlocks and Partitions. If your gun likes them, they are great bullets for elk as they always stay together and penetrate well.

Tthe real plus for partitions is that they perform well at all velocities. Pure copper can be problematic when the velocity drops especially at long range.

Last edited:
Another vote for accubond. Every animal I have shot with that bullet drops on impact. 300wsm though.

I shot an antelope this year with 165 gr Berger VLDs. I was surprised how well they did. There was a nice little entry hole through his right leg and it travelled toward the left rear. I found the bullet just under the skin in a nice mushroom shape. Antelope can take a bullet and he ran 50 yards befor he knew he was dead.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back