Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Electrical tape/muzzle forensics

I do one strip over the end of barrel, then a wrap around the barrel to secure it. Bad camera work, but you get the idea:

Attachments

• barrel.jpg
    barrel.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 15
I've used it for over 10 years and it just leaves a hole the size of the end of the barrel in the tape and hasn't ever affected a shot.

Before I used it the first time I tried it at the range and confirmed to myself that it didn't affect the POI.

I've used it in warm and cold weather and never noticed a difference other than it keeping my barrel clean of obstructions.

I keep a roll of electrical tape in my pack. Mostly for wrapping the punched tag on the critter. Sometimes I put it on the barrel, but mostly I forget. I've never had an issue with it or without.

Definitely shoot at the range to make sure it doesn't impact. But it doesn't impact your point of impact.

Water balloons...pack of 20 for $1 at the Dollar Store. Have never had a problem. Get a fresh pack every year as they’ll deteriorate (stick together) over the summer

Duct tape for Muzzle loader and rifles. One over the end of the barrel and one around the circumference (as others have said) to secure the first one and cover the porting on one of my rifles. Gives me piece of mind hunting in snowy conditions, humping through brush, slogging through marsh cover, or taking a barrel first dive, and not worrying about an inadvertent barrel obstruction

I guess you could blame the tape for your miss. :rolleyes:
It seems like I did just miss. There was a scope zero issue as well, that contributed to the miss, but it still just seemed like it should have been a hit... Hence my curiosity about the different appearance of the tape. I'll chalk it up to bad shootin' I guess.

The air in front of the projectile blows the tape off
In a muzzle loader the ball is on top of the powder and should effectively seal the bore against young gas blow by. In a regular cartridge there is a gap before the bullet engages the rifling allowing more opportunity for young gas blow by.

In a muzzle loader the ball is on top of the powder and should effectively seal the bore against young gas blow by. In a regular cartridge there is a gap before the bullet engages the rifling allowing more opportunity for young gas blow by.
The bore is full of air, which is compressed against the tape as the projectile travels down the bore, blowing the tape off the muzzle.

I’ve never put tape on my barrels but I’ve been more interested in it after my buddy fell in the snow jumped a deer and when he shot the snow caused his barrel to banana! But I’ve never put tape on and never had anything like that happen but I don’t see why it would effect the shot on any riffle or weapon

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back