Eastern hunters are overly defensive over spatial distribution!

I feel like many didn't read the post or look at the graphic. You don't have to get defensive. There are these large sanctuaries that no one is hunting because there's a hill in the way.
I can only speak to upstate NY, but the mountainous areas there generally have poor soil, crappy nutrient content, and very low deer densities.

I thought having lived in Montana I’d go be Benny bad-ass, hike way back, and go kill some big mountain buck. Never really saw much for sign let alone deer. Trail camera would turn up a occasional errant doe.

Meanwhile you’ll see multiple dozens by the highway in any given suburb of NYC. NYSDEC hands out nearly unlimited OTC doe tags in those areas because there’s such an over abundance that they’ve caused a profoundly negative effect on local ecosystems.

I can only speak to upstate NY, but the mountainous areas there generally have poor soil, crappy nutrient content, and very low deer densities.

I thought having lived in Montana I’d go be Benny bad-ass, hike way back, and go kill some big mountain buck. Never really saw much for sign let alone deer. Trail camera would turn up a occasional errant doe.

Meanwhile you’ll see multiple dozens by the highway in any given suburb of NYC. NYSDEC hands out nearly unlimited OTC doe tags in those areas because there’s such an over abundance that they’ve caused a profoundly negative effect on local ecosystems.
Yah not near as much food as there is around crops or subdivisions.

Not sure Georgia is known for it's "mountainous areas"...

" GPS to track 58 volunteer hunters on two north Georgia WMAs" Wow, what a data set. Must've really taken him a long time to process all that.

My laziest hunt in NC on Shearon Harris game lands. I was 75 yds from the highway, 50yds from people in bass boats on the lake I was hunting, and 200 yds from the marina where they were actively launching boats. Took 2 fat does from that location

the lake point made for a great funnelView attachment 297550
So what yet saying is you were hunting water...🤪🤪🤪

Not sure Georgia is known for it's "mountainous areas"...
Shoot, western man. The Chattahoochee National Forest from the post is pretty darn hilly, if not mountainous. It’s the southern end of the Blue Ridge Mountains that run up through Great Smoky Mountain and Shenandoah National Parks. There’s even a few native brook trout left in them Georgia hills.

I turned on the GA OnX layer to look at the area and do see some areas I’d check for deer off the road if I lived down there. Though those topo lines are pretty tight.

1697598789709.png

Last edited:
Shoot, western man. The Chattahoochee National Forest from the post is pretty darn hilly, if not mountainous. It’s the southern end of the Blue Ridge Mountains that run up through Great Smoky Mountain and Shenandoah National Parks. There’s even a few native brook trout left in them Georgia hills.

I turned on the GA OnX layer to look at the area and do see some areas I’d check for deer off the road if I lived down there. Though those topo lines are pretty tight.

View attachment 297569
Fair enough, my comment was inaccurate. It's has some mountainous terrain. Certainly more so then the Midwest

View attachment 297569
That’s a lot of knobs. Just saying.

When I lived in MD, I used to hunt public land a lot. I rarely saw people where I went, and if I did it was on the trail/road on the way back to the truck mid day. I'd walk or bike in 1-2 miles to core areas and walk in off the trails 2-300 yards and hang a stand. I'm sure its gotten more popular now, but there was many trips I was the only one at the trailhead when I got there at least an hour before daylight. I can only think of one time I saw a hunter in the woods out of 40-50 trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back