East Glacier fishing

Inspirational quote for the day:

LESSON: Crap happens. No sense letting crap dictate the remainder of the day. Need days like this to really understand what a good day is about.

Reepacheep the Talking Mouse from the Narnia series once postulated that it doesn't feel like an "adventure" when you are In the midst of the "adventure", but afterwards during the tellin of the event, you realize what an epic ADVENTURE you had!!

I am laughing so hard my daughter asked why???? She is reading your story Sytes!
God love ya man! Awesome story - keep working those core exercises and
That balance will get better my friend!
I will send you a new rod!

Ya. It was a pretty crazy day! Haha! :D

Well, had a couple days off and was able to fish a fun small pike filled lake and had a blast! Nothing over probably 6 lbs though even those feel like a beast! :) Gotta love the hammerheaded alligators! I am waiting on some of the pics from a camera...

However, I do have a few from St. Mary's Reservoir in Canada just on the other side of the border from East Glacier. Had a blast! I've never really fished for walleye though they are a pretty darn good fight! Mixed in were some pike and it turned to be a good Canadian fishing adventure. Not the deep Canadian mtn lake monster pike / walleye I've seen pics of though for a locally located lake - I had a good time!

My first walleye... (hey, I'm a NW Montana boy! Not used to fishin' walleye!)
picture.php

One of a few pike... Not near as clean and good looking a pike as in Glacier Nat'l Park though still a fun fight.
picture.php

And here is a better walleye :) When I showed this pic I was razzed for not bringing him back for eatin'... A really nice fighting fish... beware you central / eastern MT boys - I may venture your way for future walleye fishin'! :D Aside from the bugger drawing blood from my hand from it's porcupine type fin, he was an enjoyable catch!

picture.php

Anyhow... I've two more months here so hopefully there will be more pics to follow and not the 6'01 fully clothed WET pics 'n broken poles... :W: :D

We had a complete blast at a small lake on tribal land. Pike, pike, pike! It was off the hook. Nothing massive though those hammerhead alligators are such a blast to catch, especially with top water!
We were so darn involved in catching them - we didn't think much on pictures until the later though here are a couple. These were caught by a co-worker/friend. We have been targeting lakes every chance we've had.

This was about average (Fisherman version of average... :D ) :
picture.php

We had several smaller - such as this little tike:
picture.php

Photos often do not present the reality though these were fighters. Heh! I view this pic and think... what a dud! Though reality was they fought pretty darn good. By the time the camera was out... well, that is a different story.
picture.php

Flat out perfect day on Lake Sherbourne! Glass! I think we got skunked though had one snap my friend's line and it had to fit the lake's reputation for big pike... I had one piggy flash at the boat --- If I only had a few feet remaining!
picture.php

The next set of photos is from a friend who was fishing is an area that resulted in an unexpected meeting with this guy. They both saw eachother about the same time at approx 30 yds! Talk about a chill running up the back. He is a pretty rounded back country guy so all stayed as in the pics, just casual - no rough and tough demeanor from the bear and apparently he had the mind to snap these pics... Apparently the bear simply went about his / her day and my friend cautiosly made his way... :)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I dig the last one the most - Yogi Bear to a tee! "Hey Boboo!"

Hopefully more fishing pics to follow though this is my post for now.

Couple more pictures from a solo trip to Waterton Lake. (Awesome lake, btw!)

Interesting enough, I purchased a good life vest after my last solo event taking a glacier plunge... Figured "Lesson learned"... though a hot day, shorts and t-shirt - Don't know what to say other than I had no intent to wear it. It wore on my seat and that was all... I looked at those thin vest tubes that self inflate (CO2 cartridge type) though $150-200??? even then, they are not light puppies. And to wear on a hot day? think I'll just stick to swimming. Sounds a bit off though I suppose every day we weigh our options on what level safety vs living life we face. Meh, just making an attempt to rationalize my decision to not wear a vest solo even after my recent dunk...

Onto the pictures - Lake trout... only 4 lbs or so. Surprising strength. It was not the usual sunken log pull up from the depths... fun fight. :) Also a picture from the area where I had the best luck. Caught 3 total though solo... hard to take trophy self portaits. :D

picture.php

picture.php

What Canadian lake were the Walleye in? I am a North Idaho boy that would like a Walleye trip now and then...

What Canadian lake were the Walleye in? I am a North Idaho boy that would like a Walleye trip now and then...

It is called St. Mary's Reservoir. Approx 15 minutes east of Cardston on the way to Lethbridge. I showed that pic to the CBSA Officers as I was returning back to the US and he said the walleye are typically larger than the one in my picture and the pike...same deal. Fisherman tale or truth? Meh, I would catch walleye that size all day long and the pike to boot!

Thanks Summit! The bummer end of this... Someone swiped my fly rod out of my boat at a restaurant!!! Argh! It is not a Sage rod/reel though for me it was a bit of money - Reddington - think it was approx $250 or so. A bit bummed though what can a fisherman do? Gotta move on. I may order another though my wife will probably choke a portion of myself to remind me who holds the account. Meh, it is fishing... worth it :)

Anyhow, hope to have future pics to add.

Went to St. Mary's Reservoir again (Canada) and had ablast with the walleye. I caught one that easily beat all others out of that lake by a long shot! It is a crappy picture and does not do justice at all for it's true size though - a picture is a picture...

picture.php

It was a darn warm day though not a breeze to find so I wet my tshirt and placed it on my back... Felt a heck of a lot better. Actually, I just like showing off my studly pecks! :p

It is a pain to snap pictures of one self with a fish though that is my attempt to stretcxh my arm out and click a pic trying to fit Jonah's whale into the screen. :)

Anyhow... until a better set of pictures with some good scenery. That lake is out in farmville, Canada though boy, fun fishin!

glacier / Waterton fishing

you're killing me...flying out tomorrow to Glacier. Hope to be on lake near Many Glacier (would you recommend Sherbourne, Swiftcurrent, or Iceburg?)by late Sat - early Sun. Staying in Waterton Sunday night- Monday; plan on going to Cameron Lake or Red Rock Canyon-have you done any fishing at either? also plan on returning to Missoula thru Two Medicine-any fishing recommendations there? what lures do you recommend for light spinning gear? great pix, thanks for posting.

you're killing me...flying out tomorrow to Glacier. Hope to be on lake near Many Glacier (would you recommend Sherbourne, Swiftcurrent, or Iceburg?)by late Sat - early Sun. Staying in Waterton Sunday night- Monday; plan on going to Cameron Lake or Red Rock Canyon-have you done any fishing at either? also plan on returning to Missoula thru Two Medicine-any fishing recommendations there? what lures do you recommend for light spinning gear? great pix, thanks for posting.

Man, the wildlife has been out around the border area! I saw a yearling moose bolt across the road and right on it was a griz in full pursuit! The next day I saw the yearling again so apparently the griz ran out of gas...
Seems each trip from East Glacier to Waterton - there are bear, elk, moose and the ever present tribal land cattle dropping thier patties all over the hwy! I am surprised the bears are not more interested in some USDA Prime cattle vs chasing darn little moose around.

Sherbourne - I've only fished for the Pike. Park people say Sherbourne is the lake for Pike - and large pike for this area. I agree - large though it is hit and miss. They are tough to get on to though if you get on one... expect a good time. I understand there are trout though have not fished for them.

Swiftcurrent is really enjoyable for the trout though they tend to be a bit on the smaller side. Expect between 9-13 with potential for bigger though from everything I've heard, it is a reasonable lake for the trout.

Here is the downside - Glacier Nat'l Park brought a new fishing reg aboard this year... ONLY artificial lures / flies. No cut, live, power bait, scents, vienna sausages (last year people used them for the lake trout... or so I heard...) Oh and this one has been standard... make sure you have tungsten weights if you use weight. No lead whatsoever. As odd as this sounds - there is ONE exception... the large downrigger lead weights are legit?????? Must have been someone on the board that trolls often... :p

I've not fished Iceberg Lake... I hear Josephine holds the larger of the trout associated with Swiftcurrent. I'm not familiar with Cameron Lake either - unfortunately. The main lakes I have fished are Sherbourne, Upper and lower St. Mary's, Waterton and the St. Mary's Reservoir outside Cardston.

My personal choice for light spinning gear would be the "Super Duper" & Panther Martin... Silver and gold spinner / reflector - size fitting the lake avg. Also, matching hatch or the good ol'e beaded nymph behind a clear bobber... Slow retreive... Sz 10-14. If you have a fly rod then - you have it down. Mine unfortunately was stolen. :(

Food wise, Two Sisters is really good. Johnson's is good... I was not a real fan of the food house adjacent to the first store/fuel station. St.; Mary's lodge has good food though pricey! A GREAT Jalepeno spiced pulled pork burrito is from the Babb cafe. They have really good coffee and breakfasts. The Cattle Barron is good though be prepared to pay your debt via your first born... I must admit, they have a real good Long Island Ice Tea. I'm out of first borns so I'll have to provide some other offering. They do have good food. Good steak. There is some Mexican restaurant that I heard is pretty good... I'll have to check that out.
In Waterton... well, it is a tour town so no real shortage of food... Zums seems to take the helm for spoken popularity though I find it down right criminal to charge som $18-20 for 3 or 4 pieces of fried chicken... Sure, I hear it is good and I believe it is their signature food though buying that is voluntarily bending over. There is a really good pizza place there... forgot the name though certainly worth checking out.
Fishing Waterton, apparently I got a bit lucky catching the Lake trout there. I've been their two additional times and skunked. People who chat about the lake trout say the best area is somewhere around Goat Haunt. Waterton has some of the same rules as Glacier for fishing requirements except I believe you are still permitted to use scents.

Anyhow, this info is just my take on life up here... I am sure others may agree or disagree. Hopefully you have a chance to enjoy it all - look forward to some PICTURES and your thoughts on the fishing and food areas.

Man, I wrote a darn Frommer's review... /whew!

Charles - nice photos, really good pics of that bear your buddy took. Looks like your living the dream, wished I could get out there to join you for some of that scenery & fishing! Keep the photos coming.

Okay... Epic, EPIC day fishing!

We pulled in 9 Pike ALL huge!

With his permission to post his ugly mug :p :

picture.php

2.5 hours of fishing - 9 of these buggers - beautiful Glacier Nat'l Park. I ran him back to work and another guy stayed with the boat. We tried different areas of the lake w/o sucess when we returned to what has been Dubbed "Trey's Stump" I caught the largest Pike I've ever landed.

picture.php

This one I had to hold into my body like a football otherwise it's weight would simply dump out. I should have held it length wise to better "guestimate" it's weight and size. Or better yet... Buy a fish scale / tape measure!

EPIC day...

Back