East coast bears?

Graves14

Hey all,

My first post and my first "on my own" big game hunt coming up next month. I see a ton of posts from guys out west but are there any guys on here from the east coast? I'll be chasing black bear in north western New Hampshire come sept 1st and would love some advice from anyone who's hunted the dense woods in New England.

I'm staying with family a few miles from the area I'll be hunting and know where there are some remote blueberry patches that my father in law has taken bear in before.

Anything sage advice for a big game first timer? I understand wind is the most important factor to be aware of.

Anyway I'm VERY excited as I'm sure you can see from the scattered post lol.

Regards,
Pat

Pat,
Welcome! There are a few of us easterners kicking around. I'm not much of a bear hunter so I will allow those with more experience chime in. Best of luck on your hunt. Be sure to post pics and story.

Welcome from a fellow eastern!
The heaviest black bear came from North Carolina (880 lbs) another one for the east!
Good luck on your hunt!

Pat, first off Welcome!
Im from Northern Maine which is very similar country to New Hampshire..and have hunted bears there, if you said you knew where there was a patch of blueberry doughnuts, you would be in luck:D.

Spot n Stalk is very difficult as you noted due to density and can be very difficult country to navagate in....most hunters hunt bears over bait and those that say they shot theirs spot n stalk wont tell you they were 100yrds behind the local dump:eek: more bears are killed in that part of the country over bait and trash barrels than any other means.....point being natural food sources may not pay big dividends.

heres the best advice that I can pass along if you want to kill a bear, first due some scouting.... locating sign and travel corridors will not be to difficult due to vegetation... then find an active beaver pond..(should take 3-4 min.).....secondly shoot said beaver, take dead beaver and nail his arse to a tree along said travel corridors, when big nasty bore shows up for his favorite food source (which will not take long).......choot him!

theres a small formality of the doughnut vs beaver law so a permit to hunt over bait will be required.

if you truly want to spot n stalk there are plenty logging roads and clear cuts from timber activities to take advatage of also, focus on typical early morning and late evening unless weather dictates otherwise.

buy stock in thermacell as you will need it.....good luck and have a great time in the northwoods!

my bears have all been eastern and we got some BIG bears around, my only advice is dont be afraid to hunt in crappy weather. for some reason rainy wet nasty days seem to always produce bear sightings.

DKO said it. I'm from western Maine, extremely dense and unless you are on the the edge of a field or a clear cut optics won't do much for you. Also consider using dogs. I know several outfits in Maine and New Hampshire that chase bears with dogs.
Pat, first off Welcome!
Im from Northern Maine which is very similar country to New Hampshire..and have hunted bears there, if you said you knew where there was a patch of blueberry doughnuts, you would be in luck:D.

Spot n Stalk is very difficult as you noted due to density and can be very difficult country to navagate in....most hunters hunt bears over bait and those that say they shot theirs spot n stalk wont tell you they were 100yrds behind the local dump:eek: more bears are killed in that part of the country over bait and trash barrels than any other means.....point being natural food sources may not pay big dividends.

heres the best advice that I can pass along if you want to kill a bear, first due some scouting.... locating sign and travel corridors will not be to difficult due to vegetation... then find an active beaver pond..(should take 3-4 min.).....secondly shoot said beaver, take dead beaver and nail his arse to a tree along said travel corridors, when big nasty bore shows up for his favorite food source (which will not take long).......choot him!

theres a small formality of the doughnut vs beaver law so a permit to hunt over bait will be required.

if you truly want to spot n stalk there are plenty logging roads and clear cuts from timber activities to take advatage of also, focus on typical early morning and late evening unless weather dictates otherwise.

buy stock in thermacell as you will need it.....good luck and have a great time in the northwoods!

Graves
I live in central NH. Definitely no shortage of bears here. Not sure how many blueberries around come opening day, plus my experience scouting so far has them a little spotty this year. Cornfields can be awesome, especially if mast crops weak.i kill a bear every year and am not into baiting or dogs. If their hitting the corn the best times can be midday. Apples, typically their coming in at or after dark, so I prefer to sit back in woods on runs. Anyway, bears become full time eating machines come fall so find the food and they'll come. If you need a partner hit me up as I'll be at it daily come 9-1

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacolleen
Back