Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Duracoat or Cerakote

D4570

You can get them both in an airdry form, which is the way I would go.
Both are applied with air and are similar in cost.
The Duracoat sounds a bit "Softer" and a bit simpler in the application.
Both have colors I like and can be applied over plastic as well as steel. Which one would you try and why?

I have never had what I would consider professional results from air dry products.

I have also seen plenty screw up finishes with lack of prep work.
I use cerakote oven cure in the shop a good bit.

I've got one of each. I didn't trust myself to put the Duracoat on well and had my brother in law do it. Both rifles have one season on them since application, so not much of a sample size. Thus far they've performed as I expected...the Duracoat is a little softer but works pretty darn well. The Cerakote is harder but was obviously more $$ up front; I had it done professionally.

I have used Duracoat exactly one time. Results were good. I have heard of others preferring Cerakote claiming it's more durable but I've had no issues from normal use. I'm far from what you'd call a "professional".

Last edited:
Had a revolver done with a product called Gun Kote years ago. Came off with acetone. Sent R back to the smith and had it nickel plated instead.

If you don’t have the proper tools to prep the metal for Cerakote then I’d recommend using duracoat. Cerakote is much harder and better wear resistant if applied correctly though.

I have a Duracoated rifle and it has not held up well. Tons of scratches show against the mat black. There are sections already missing it near the end of the barrel.

My new rifles being built is going to be cerakoted like my factory gun.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back