Drought for the west

15 new fires today in NM. Kachina peak had a gust hit 91mph.
Calming down now and should be over for this spring. The worst anyways. No telling on the fires til morning.
Only 2 months til rain now. Lucky I still have grass from last years monsoons.

Folks still don't believe it's the worst drought in 1200 years. Pretty easy to check with tree rings here in NM. Logs to check that are a few thousand years against in ruins.

15 new fires today in NM. Kachina peak had a gust hit 91mph.
Calming down now and should be over for this spring. The worst anyways. No telling on the fires til morning.
Only 2 months til rain now. Lucky I still have grass from last years monsoons.

Folks still don't believe it's the worst drought in 1200 years. Pretty easy to check with tree rings here in NM. Logs to check that are a few thousand years against in ruins.
Good lord Hank. If it ain't ants, it's flies.

Sending you and your fellow New Mexicans my best wishes.

60 days so far this year in extreme or severe fire weather in NM.
Breezy this morning with clear skies overhead. All quiet on the western back 40.
Not so quiet elsewhere in NM,but no 50 mph winds hopefully.

“The West” it’s a pretty big place, so I know it’s different in many places. At the beginning of the month local snotels we’re in the 40%s in terms of Snow water equivalent.

We received over 2 feet of snow at our house a week ago, and the mountains were well over 3 feet and in some places four feet. Here comes another system, and some local snow packs are crawling their way back for now.

Doesn’t mean we are saved but it is good news. Prickly pear creek, in which the kids and I fish and play all summer, was running at 33% it’s typical flow only two weeks ago.

View attachment 219966
North Dakota also...30 inches of snow at Minot, N. D.

Couple new fires today in harding and union counties I havnt seen them on the news yet, jus know some firefighters up they that said they are starting to big. Also another new fire between tatum and roswell, we may end up sending a couple trucks to it yet... if it keeps blowing up
The wind was unreal on the fire in Union county - Campbell Road fire ended going over 5,000 acres before we (and the wind change) stopped progression after midnight. I could see smoke from the Mitchell fire yesterday from my front porch. Hopefully today's cooler temps and much higher RH helped reduce the fire behavior.

The wind was unreal on the fire in Union county - Campbell Road fire ended going over 5,000 acres before we (and the wind change) stopped progression after midnight. I could see smoke from the Mitchell fire yesterday from my front porch. Hopefully today's cooler temps and much higher RH helped reduce the fire behavior.
Ya its crazy. I had buddies on the Mitchell fire Sunday and they said it seemed like it was pertu much contained inside dozer lines unless the wind comes up enough to blow it out again

We mutal aided on our first big one for the year, jus bout got the lil town of house NM. Havnt heard a acreage but from what we knew and could guess pry around 5,000 acres

Back