Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Dove Hunting in Montana

wood1774

I am from the southeast and I love dove hunting. Everyone that I have talked to out here does not hunt doves, but I have seen quite a few. Where I am from farmers plant fields and charge people to hunt on the their fields. Is this the case here?

Does anyone out here hunt doves?

I never hunted doves while I was in Montana, but knew a couple guys that did. I think some years, most of the doves leave by Sept. 1, which I believe is the opener there in Montana.

I always wanted to hunt doves and this last December finally got a chance. After a successful coues deer hunt my buddies Ron and Monty took me to one of their spots...it was fun. We shot 30 doves in just a couple hours.

I used a 28 gauge...started out slow as I had not done much wing shooting the last 10 years or so. After I burned through the first half box of shells I settled down and hit 5 in a row to finish my limit.

Fun times....

IMG_3371.JPG

Yes Sep. 1 for doves. I've hunted last year. Did quite well, but not as good as I did in ND. I don't know of any farmers that plant crops for Dove then charge you to hunt them, but I am sure there are some out there who do. There is plenty of public area's to hunt them. If you got a dog it's a great way to train.....plenty of birds and action usually.

Last edited:
I never hunted doves while I was in Montana, but knew a couple guys that did. I think some years, most of the doves leave by Sept. 1, which I believe is the opener there in Montana.

I always wanted to hunt doves and this last December finally got a chance. After a successful coues deer hunt my buddies Ron and Monty took me to one of their spots...it was fun. We shot 30 doves in just a couple hours.

I used a 28 gauge...started out slow as I had not done much wing shooting the last 10 years or so. After I burned through the first half box of shells I settled down and hit 5 in a row to finish my limit.

WOW thats a great day of dove hunting and shooting. I have hunted doves tons of times and never hit five in a row, I always blame it on a bent barrel:D!

Thanks for the info!!

Yes Sep. 1 for doves. I've hunted last year. Did quite well, but not as good as I did in ND. I don't know of any farmers that plant crops for Dove then charge you to hunt them, but I am sure there are some out there who do. There is plenty of public area's to hunt them. If you got a dog it's a great way to train.....plenty of birds and action usually.

Great thanks for the info. I am going to start checking some areas soon, glad to know it will be worth my time!

For those reading this and wondering about farmers charging the hunters; the principal reason for that is that in order to have corn cut to attract the birds it requires cutting the corn earlier than desired for market and the corn hasn't dried sufficiently to get the best price. Therefore the farmer must take a cut on the price or dry it himself if his farm is so equipped, and the charges are usually to defray that loss of income from his crop. Since we have next to no public land here the farmers are really doing the hunters a great service by providing hunters a place to hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back