Doing an Idaho Elk hunt, DIY/public land style!

MNElkNut

I thought I would share the part leading up to our hunt. Although this isnt the sexiest of posts, it is something many DIY hunters have to go through and I see little written about it. Hopefully, in awhile, you will see a grip-and-grin picture culminating from all this work, but that has yet to play out.

My cousin Shane moved out to Boise this year and with that, our elk hunting trip was planned. There will be 3 of us this year, all between 32 and 42 years old in good condition. My job was the internet and phone research, Shane's job was to put boot leather on the ground. I thought some folks might be interested in how we went about it and the difficulties we have had along the way.

First step was studying the regs and Idaho zones and looking at success rates. ID was different than either WY or CO; where I had previously hunted elk. What we wanted was an area fairly close to Boise that had an opportunity to get off the road 1-4 miles and away from the crowd with giant bulls lurking behind every tree. What we ended up with was an area fairly close to Boise that had an opportunity to get off the road 1-4 miles and away from the crowd. While doing this, I started reaching out via hunting forums hoping to get a little help along the way (I didnt expect and didnt get anyone's honey hole). Ironically, the best info and most offers of assistance came from this forum. Nothing however really helped us select an area. Most of that was done by just spending time on google earth and the Idaho G&F hunting website. So we finally picked a zone in early August. A big step. Then, after more research and talking to the biologist and game warden, we picked a unit.

So Shane went up there scouting and to make a long story short, he came back and told me to start over. That was tough to take. The zone was okay, but the areas were a bust. Another call to the biologist and some more research and we found a new area. Lots of talk and lots of research and we homed in on an area that I termed "Bend in the Road". I liked it a lot and I had a backup plan that could be reached from the same camp that I knew would hold elk, but was nasty territory.

Trip #2 for Shane was last weekend. He came back and said......it looks great and there is more than we can possibly hunt. There were a lot of bowhunters there he talked to. Is that good news or bad? Dunno that yet, but it should mean there are elk there, right? He felt the back up area, he called that the "Grouse" area for obvious reasons, was actually the best of the two. Problem is, he thinks we need to spike out over night a couple or three nights of our 5 day hunt. Wasnt really expecting that, so gonna need a few pieces of gear for that.

Next thing to do is order custom maps from mytopo.com for $15 each. I waited on buying maps until I got the green light from my field guy and now I have it.

Anticipation? It is killing me. Which one of you jerks slowed down the calendar? But it is good motivation for working out which has went well. I will post more as it happens.

Contrary to popular belief there are not wolves everywhere in our fair state!
Best o luck from a transplanted Minnesotan.
WD

Sounds like your doing the research but aren't you limiting yourself to treading trails that other bowhunters are taking right now by only hunting 1-4 miles from the road in an area seemingly close to a large city? A good keen hunter can punch that out in the dark by the light of the moon or headtorch in an hour or two, depending on gear on board and terrain, why not go fly camp and go further in if the country allows? Sleeping bag and tarp, hunt till mid morning, then shift camp during the middle of the day if you need to and be back in the game early in the arvo in fresh country if your aren't onto elk. Might increase the walk out distance and load if you harvest an animal, but broken down and boned out anything is achievable if you have hung your tag on a critter?

Nothing stopping you walking ridges in the dark and shifting location whilst listening for animals as they are at their most vocal periods..

I never limit or constrict my hunts to distances and specifics, be prepared for everything and let the animals dictate the hunt and your location and opportunities will present.

Good luck, looking forward to the update.

Sounds like your doing the research but aren't you limiting yourself to treading trails that other bowhunters are taking right now by only hunting 1-4 miles from the road in an area seemingly close to a large city? A good keen hunter can punch that out in the dark by the light of the moon or headtorch in an hour or two, depending on gear on board and terrain, why not go fly camp and go further in if the country allows? Sleeping bag and tarp, hunt till mid morning, then shift camp during the middle of the day if you need to and be back in the game early in the arvo in fresh country if your aren't onto elk. Might increase the walk out distance and load if you harvest an animal, but broken down and boned out anything is achievable if you have hung your tag on a critter?

Nothing stopping you walking ridges in the dark and shifting location whilst listening for animals as they are at their most vocal periods..

I never limit or constrict my hunts to distances and specifics, be prepared for everything and let the animals dictate the hunt and your location and opportunities will present.

Good luck, looking forward to the update.

I definitely look forward to your future posts leading up to and after your hunt. Good luck!

We aren't going to stop at the 4 mile mark if there are bulls to be had beyond that! The 1-4 miles is a plan and knowing us, the plan is subject to change. Could we go farther in? You bet, we are gearing up for spiking out. How it plays out is anyone's guess.

Update (and will be rather funny): I bought Jon and I pack frames last night at Cabelas on my way home. This morning, up before dawn, all excited to try hiking with my new pack frame. Needed some weight, so I took my daypack which I have weighted to 27 pounds with books and water and hung it on the packframe. Stepped into it and away I went. About 100 yards down the road my load shifted. I tried to see and feel back there but couldnt really. Oh well, must be good (you experienced pack framers know the mistake I just made, eh?). About half a mile later, I get to thinking, man, this is really pulling on the top of my shoulders. Another mile and man, that muscle that goes from the top of your shoulder to your neck is really singing at me and it isnt a nice song. Struggle another half mile thinking man, I gotta get used to this or this is gonna suck. Hey, there is Adam, my neighbor! Hey Adam, does everything look right on.....why you laughing at me? Yep, my backpack is hanging wayyyyyy off the back and is threatening to pull me over backwards. Well the good news is the first rookie mistake was made at home!

Ordered topos at mytopo.com today. Got licenses in the mail. 2 weeks to go and I am thinking it is time to start staging gear.

Oh one more thing, has anyone here seen my little Gerber hand saw????? Looked for it all night and cant find it. Normally I am really organized, so this is driving me nuts.

The only thing I can remember about my Great-Grandpa is that when people were asking him where certains things were he would always respond with... "If it were up your ass, you would know". A 6 year old finds that quite humerous and clearly, memorable.

So....... is there something your not tellin us? :)

MN, I must have picked it up while I was packing...sorry.

I'm getting pretty excited to head out in two weeks also! :D

I've got a fiskars saw, it's only been used on asphalt, should still be good for trees n such. Don't know where I left it, but would you clean it when you're done.

took this weekend off to work on deer stands here at home, although I did get my hikes and exercise in. Got the backpack frame working perfectly (adjusted some straps too which really made it comfy).

This week the goal is to get all the gear lined up. Weather looks like clear and upper 50s, maybe 60. This is the mountains though, so all that means to me is we prolly wont have below zero temps. key word...prolly (which isnt even a word the way I spelled it!).

Some thoughts that have been occuring to me: if it is indeed in the 50s, are the elk going to be on north facing timber to keep cool? It is so dry, do we need to find water or is there plenny of water out there (Shane hasnt been to some of the exact places we want to be). Where do we want to start? How to spike out without a stove (fire restrictions)? What am I forgetting in terms of gear for spiking out? Tent, sleeping bag/pad, food...that is about it without stove/fire potential.

The way I am envisioning it is it gets dark and you pitch the tent. You sit down and eat your sandwich or granola bar or whatever and crawl in the sleeping bag. Not much to need, right?

for spiking out, it will be a little stove to cook with. the one I have uses a 1 lb propane cylinder. which I just learned is okay. Propane is okay to heat with or to cook with. charcoal and wood are NOT okay for anything outside an approved campground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back