Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Does anybody really regulate outfitters on USFS lands?

Man, I am late to this conversation. I retired after close to 40 years with the EwwEssEffEess! Loved it and hated it at the same time. Administered OG Permits, Range , Fire Management Officer, Hydrology, Recreation, etc. Folks just don't understand how funding works. Totally micromanaged by congress! When the Cowboys don't want grazing allotments managed, funding is cut to the bone (usually during Republican administrations). Same with timber during Democrat rulers. OG permits, especially hunting, never have funding! You do it when you get a chance. Just issuing permits is usually all you can do. I administered a permit where the outfitter murdered his wife (who he was beating on) and her boyfriend and was never found. Good and bad in that bunch. I had to permit an outfitter that had been convicted of treeing lions, tying the hounds to the tree, and then flying the fat ass hunter from down south somewhere in to kill the lion 2 days later. Convicted by Colorado Division of Wildlife! Went to the good Congress man's office with his SOB story of how Thomas Jefferson was a houndsman and the mean FS was out to get him, and I was instructed to issue the permit. Don't get me going on Range magazine and their BS narratives of how they are abused by land management agencies. Especially Cliven Bundy! Tring to administer grazing allotments can really suck due to the politics involved. Do folks on Hunt Talk realize that the Colorado Cattleman's Association constantly complains about high GMU elk populations? And now they're afraid of wolves? And don't get me started on Fire Mgmt. and how that has sucked half the FS budget down that worthless black hole. I can talk a lot of shit about the FS, good and bad. An IPA and Punch Double Maduro and I can't shut up!
Enthusiastic welcome to HT!

I have yet to find something the USFS is really good at.

We can likely add managing outfitters on federal land to that list with managing recreation, enforcing laws, managing timber, managing grazing, fire management, running a career training program, managing the real estate side of their property, etc..

Most states could turn a profit managing things like grazing, timber, etc.. But the USFS requires 7.4 billion $ per year and wastes $ at pretty much everything they do.

I know there are some good people there, but there are also a lot of people who don't do much of anything and get paid to show up while never being held accountable for performance.

Put me down for being amongst the folks here that are NOT impressed with both the USFS and BLM.
In my area, there is an Outfitter with 2 fully guided camps and 2 drop camps fairly close together. This Outfitter is a total
slob. If you visit his camps in the off season, you'll find a plethora of litter in partially burned water bottles, underwear, propane bottles candy wrappers, and other assorted items all over the place. Thing is, much of it could have been burned, or packed out if he had a litter bag set out. Then, he hides a whole bunch of stuff in his camps rather than packing it out. Also leaves electric fence wire up rather than taking it down. I've taken lots of photos and sent them to the District Office and never get a reply, and I'm pretty sure they never check on this themselves, as the litter issues get worse over time, rather than cleaned up as a result of them getting spanked.
The BLM completely ignores cattle grazing on their lands that are in clear violation of the permittees alloted dates. In viewing this issue, it's actually more work for them NOT to do their job, than it is to do it. Why is this?
They are cowards for the most part. Afraid to speak up and do their job. They just "let it slide" and their boss could care less. They still get the same $ very month no matter if they do their job or not.

How long did they let Bundy keep grazing after he kept paying?

There was another one recently

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back