Do I care about opening day?

Opening day in my unit was madness with high pressure. My group was still able to fill 3 doe tags that day. Tuesday and Wednesday were almost completely void of any hunters at all but most of the antelope had been pushed way back away from the main roads which made for some fun stalks.

For those who want to judge scores on everything, my buck had over 6 1/2 inch bases and proportional mass throughout but he’s short (12 inches) and struggling to even reach 69 inches (if you read this post earlier I said 65… LOL I missed a last measurement! He’s slightly better than I thought) . I’d still shoot him on pretty much any normal tag I get. He was heavy and mature and his teeth are deeply worn. I would have been extra thrilled if he had surprised me with a little more height and a little more curl on the horns but for how the hunt went down, no complaints. I definitely saw some bigger bucks in my unit and especially surrounding units the following days. Overall, there were plenty of antelope to hunt but in some places seemed to be far fewer than my last couple trips to the general area, including in some top notch units.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back