DNA proves Polar/grizz hybrid killed

schmalts

Saw this on Yahoo news.. had a picture of the ugly thing too.:eek:

IQALUIT, Nunavut - Northern hunters, scientists and people with vivid imaginations have discussed the possibility for years.

But Roger Kuptana, an Inuvialuit guide from Sachs Harbour, North West Territories, was the first to suspect it had actually happened when he proposed that a strange-looking bear shot last month by an American sports hunter might be half polar bear, half grizzly.

Territorial officials seized the creature after noticing its white fur was scattered with brown patches and that it had the long claws and humped back of a grizzly. Now a DNA test has confirmed that it is indeed a hybrid — possibly the first documented in the wild.

"We've known it's possible, but actually most of us never thought it would happen," said Ian Stirling, a polar bear biologist with the Canadian Wildlife Service in Edmonton.

Polar bears and grizzlies have been successfully paired in zoos before — Stirling could not speculate why — and their offspring are fertile.

Breeding seasons for the two species overlap, though polar bear gets started slightly earlier.

I saw an article about that the other day! Kinda cool I guess. I wonder if they will give it back to the hunter or not! Im betting the keep it!! That would suck, pay $30,000 for a hunt, and not get to bring home what you shot!!

DOH!

TUFF

Tuff, I know some guys in Arco Idaho that went to Russia and killed some Browns and then came back and HAd them mounted full size.... Soemthing about flying and shooting in the same day and all the Critters were siezed 4 years later. They would fly in from a Base camp and then hunt for the day. But American laws prohibit that and on some technicallity or something they got busted !!! They had been fighting it in Court but don't know if they ever won. yah, $30k and not keep it and get in trouble to boot when you think you're OK... Big BUMMER !!

Soa Firtile white Grizz..... wow, cool !!

Here's a picture of the bear from Fox News.

:cool:

Attachments

• 0_22_hybrid_bear2.jpg
    0_22_hybrid_bear2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 174
THE GROLAR BEAR!! I wonder who would win in a fight between ad GROLAR and a LIGER!!!!

TUFF

Tuff, I believe that most grown Ligers run around 1200 pounds don't they? That's a lot of pissed off pussy to argue with, even if you are a grizzlar/Pozzly/Grolar bear.

:cool:

I was rading through Google on this...is this hunter the same "Jim Martell" that runs a elk ranch in Idaho? If so, it's likely why he can afford $50K+ bear hunting trips....

50 grand to go and show how big a hunter you are:eek: He went back up to Yellow Knife to hunt a grizzly...He must really like bear meat..

Hunterman(Tony)

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back