Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

DIY Leather Rifle Sling

7mm-08

A little DIY project if your waiting on your next tag.

Take a 1” strap, cut two (2) 3-1/2” slots, offset by 1/4”. Add a swivel, twist the loops and pass the pigtail through.

I’ve done the butt end sewn, braided and no drill.

It’s a fun little project.

19D16C41-0DA5-41BF-8718-114CA37E0F9F.jpeg

86E9E4CD-57CC-4477-B29A-60A984FD0851.jpeg

24DE3CFF-EDFA-48F0-AC91-E7043F2B554C.jpeg

22538B1E-6347-4552-8FC3-BC57C1E39444.jpeg

E9A14321-D321-4AF2-A9ED-BE2B80F9927F.jpeg

Nice. Thanks for sharing. I did this once many years ago when the Chicago screw at butt end of my Springfield's sling came undone in the wilderness and half was lost. I also do essentially the same thing with small strips of buckskin to make jacket zipper pulls. Looks nice and easier to grab with gloves on.0CFCEA1E-9187-4F56-B173-2D641A81818A.jpeg.jpg

Nice. Thanks for sharing. I did this once many years ago when the Chicago screw at butt end of my Springfield's sling came undone in the wilderness and half was lost. I also do essentially the same thing with small strips of buckskin to make jacket zipper pulls. Looks nice and easier to grab with gloves on.View attachment 239268
Chicago screws are the devil. I mean, they have a place, but I don’t like them in general.

Chicago screws are the devil. I mean, they have a place, but I don’t like them in general.
They can be useful ... if the threads on male end are purposely buggered a bit first. Otherwise on a sling they will constantly work their way loose because the leather is twisted sideways every time the gun is slung on shoulder.

Last edited:
If you try the No drill style, do it with wet leather and really stretch it and work it on there tight. Once it dries you can oil it. It may mark your gun and leave discolored lines if you ever remove it from where the stock takes on some of the oil over the years.
The one I did that to was an old 1941 model 94, with an old oil finish. I have had the sling on there 8-9 years and I’ve never taken it off. Maybe a newer finish would repel the oil??

Thanks for sharing this awesome DIY project for a leather rifle sling. It sounds like a fun way to kill time while waiting for your next hunting adventure. I'm new here, but I'll definitely give it a shot. By the way, if anyone's wondering how to spot real leather, you can check out for some handy tips. Oh, and sorry for bumping the thread. I didn't notice it was old.
Shameless plug??

Last edited:
Back