MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Dirty wildgame.

This kinda stuff drive's me nuts because then butchers start refusing to take boned out or quarter animals.

Two different butchers in CO initially refused to accept meat from me over the phone, I then just showed up in person with coolers and was like "look, take a look if you won't do it no harm no foul." Both were like... "oh that's in amazing condition no worries, sorry I was such a jerk on the phone, but you should see the crap we get".

Ya it makes it hard. We educated alot of guys but you still get the guys that never change. We have everything from pple bringing in a whole elk quarter turning green already to guys bringing perfectly deboned and clean meat. I'll post more pics as we get farther into hunting season of the crazy stuff we get. Needless to say guys get charged accordingly as to what they bring.

My hunting buddy worked at yellowstone processing and he had horror stories of the game that was brought in. People would bring in gut shot deer, that were never opened up, from 2-3 days prior.

Ya it makes it hard. We educated alot of guys but you still get the guys that never change. We have everything from pple bringing in a whole elk quarter turning green already to guys bringing perfectly deboned and clean meat. I'll post more pics as we get farther into hunting season of the crazy stuff we get. Needless to say guys get charged accordingly as to what they bring.

Do you educate guys at all? Not that it's your responsibility, but do you at least say something like, "Hey man, this is pretty dirty here and here. We're going to have to trim that pretty aggressively so make sure there's no risks of contamination."

Before I cut my own deer I recall bringing a doe to a guy in Cheyenne. He was hesitant when I walked in on a warmish day with blood all over my pants, but said he’d take a look to see if he’d cut/package it.

Felt a bit of pride as he slid the deer out of the truck and removed the couple bags of ice I’d stuffed into the chest cavity while complimenting that not many people do that anymore. Was equally impressed to see the neck shot that would make his job a bunch easier as well. My pride was replaced awful quick by the thought of how many improperly handled deer/antelope/elk carcasses he’d have to see to start to assume that they would all be like that.

Guess the guy passed a few years later, and if memory serves his butcher shop got turned into an electricians shop.

In the event I use a processor which is rare I always ho through it with a fine tooth comb and trim any dirt off. I would be embarrassed to bring something like that in. We started doing our own after talking to a guy who brought a deer in in 55 degree temps he shot three days earlier. He told me it should be good through a bag of ice in the chest cavity. I dont need anything of mine getting mixed with that.

In the event I use a processor which is rare I always ho through it with a fine tooth comb and trim any dirt off. I would be embarrassed to bring something like that in. We started doing our own after talking to a guy who brought a deer in in 55 degree temps he shot three days earlier. He told me it should be good through a bag of ice in the chest cavity. I dont need anything of mine getting mixed with that.
Ya one I thing we don't do is mix pples meat. The definitely would not be treating the guys the brought in clean and cold meat right.

Do you educate guys at all? Not that it's your responsibility, but do you at least say something like, "Hey man, this is pretty dirty here and here. We're going to have to trim that pretty aggressively so make sure there's no risks of contamination."
Yes we try. But some are so thick skulled they don't care. And when someone brings in something turning green we tell them we will not butcher it for them.

Ya one I thing we don't do is mix pples meat. The definitely would not be treating the guys the brought in clean and cold meat right.
Good to hear I've always heard that anything ground gets mixed and weighed out accordingly I'm sure some do and some don't. Either way now I look forward to processing as much as I do the hunt itself.

Isn't that just a dry rub on that hog? So you're saying this isn't the way to do it? Who can guess what occurs in large quantities around a cattle trough? These are the ones that never learn.

DirtyCamp.JPG

Attachments

• attachments(4).zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
If we quarter in the field there is usually some hair on the meat. When we hit the house the quarters are skinned and scrubbed with brushes and warn water. Then we go over the meat with a clean curry comb (just for meat). The comb removes hair, bone chips, fat cuttings, and varius lumpy undesirables. Then we trim out as much bloodshot as possible. After that the quarters are dried and wrapped in sheets if its cold enough. If not they go into a chest freezer until I can get them cut and wrapped.

There is no excuse for dirty or spoiled meat.

For several years in high school I butchered deer at a processor. 20 years later I still think I have some PTSD from some of the horrors I saw. And as far as educating people on meat care, good luck, it goes in one ear and out the other. I see the same thing now in my part time taxidermy business, trophy care whether it’s meat or hides just too much for some pea brains. And unfortunately you can’t make a silk purse from a sows ear.

In antelope season we freeze gallon milk jugs full of water and put them in the split carcasses. This has always worked well. One of my first hunting buddies was a butcher who did wild game on the side. Learned a lot from him.

Blimey, if that animal was delivered to a game dealer (and processor) where I live it would get binned and the hunter probably get banned from ever bringing in anything ever again.
We rarely break up the animal in the field, in fact the game dealers only accept them with their 'coat' still on.
Reading the other post, I can't believe anyone would not gut a deer within a couple of hours.
Having said that I have seen some horrendous deer hanging in the game dealers, I noticed one last year, the green crap was spread inside and outside the deer, I looked at the name on the tag, I couldn't believe it, I knew the guy, a qualified deer stalker, shame on him!
Cheers
Richard

Antelope season starts tomorrow here so I'll pry see both, clean and destroyed. I got some guys around here that I know will be hunting that are carrying plenty of Ice with them and will be gutting the goats and splitting the back of the neck like you do with a cape and filling the cavity full of ice and icing the neck. And then bringing it straight to our shop. It's supposed to be 100 degrees here tomorrow.

Back