PEAX Equipment

Dilema.... Need Elk Hunting Advice.

Moosie

Grand poopa
So, I tagged out early for Utah :eek: . Now our Wyoming ELk hunt has been going on. IDB Called in 9 legitimate < 20 yard Elk kills that I know of, several I've seen video of. Some smaller, some good ones, and to me, some great ones. a 300" bull with a bow (Or rifle for that matter to me) is a good bull. Check out his post here in the elk section becasue he's posting video now. (No, I'm not bragging that I have a 2d tag, just setting up the info).

Anyways, IDB is leaving next Tuesday for the Elk hunt (bow) and I was gunna fly into Wyoming Sat and hunt Sat/Sunday with him (for him) without a bow, then hunt Rifle Monday Oct 1st when the season opened.

So.... Should I leave early and try to kill me an Elk with a bow ? I could probably get a 6 point with the bow. Probably a great chance if I do. Never killed an Elk with the bow before. Or, should I save the Vacation and jsut go with Rifle and Probably get a little better elk (Not that it's a sure thing or anything... but I'm a rifle guy). Am I trying to fit too much in this year ?

Don't have alot of Vacation after the HAwaii trip, family stuff and hunting...and if I go with the Bow next Tuesday, I could burn that week, and then still hunt the following week with Rifle. I still have time off for Idaho deer hunt (Mule and Whitetail) and the Utah Deer will probably be jsut a weekend thing. I'd probably have to take 1 week unpaid, I still have those other Hunts to go on.

Other dilema is I bought 2 doe Lope tags in Wyoming that open on the 5th (FRI). So.... If me killy elky early.... then Do I hang around for a Doe lope ? or eat the tags ? Or do the 10 hour drive jsut to wack some Does ?

Sounds like a Dumb question but do I take the extra time off, try for a elk with the bow and go from there ?!?! I'd need to brush up on the Bow skills pretty dang quick if I did. But if i got one in within 20 yards.....hump

......Just don't know.

Dude, Your thinking with adrinaline, slow down and think about it, a Bull is dead with a Bow or a Gun and you need to maybe Budget those days. I only say this because I have been taking Vacations by the Hour this year! Can't wait for my Hunt, hell I'd go even if I had to use a Willow Switch to whip one to death. John

So, I tagged out early for Utah :eek: . Now our Wyoming ELk hunt has been going on. IDB Called in 9 legitimate < 20 yard Elk kills that I know of, several I've seen video of. Some smaller, some good ones, and to me, some great ones. a 300" bull with a bow (Or rifle for that matter to me) is a good bull.
As long as you can shoot up to 40 yards you could of shot atleast 15-16 bulls. I would say 13 or so was close enough to kill with a spear. And to think it is only going to get better.

I would say 13 or so was close enough to kill with a spear.
Oh fuggg Bryce....don't give him any new ideas :eek:

....course with Moosie's typing skills he probably thinks you mean Brittany.....

Go with the bow, forget the rifle, go back on a weekend for the doe lopes. That, if you call it advice is worth less than 1 cent, but there it is, an answer.

What? I read it twice and still can't make heads or tails of any of your options. Slow down, maybe a nice cup of Chamomile tea or something. I'd say go with the bow.

Boo frickin' hoo moosie...:D

I know, It's like saying to a coworker, "Hey, I got a 5k bonus, I know you didn't get one but what should I do with mine...." ;)

What? I read it twice and still can't make heads or tails of any of your options. Slow down, maybe a nice cup of Chamomile tea or something. I'd say go with the bow.

HAHA.. Yah, I'm not sure of my options either..... I think it's either leave on Tuesday next week and spend 4 extra days with a bow OR wait till the following Sat, Fly down and hunt just the rifle season. And then Drive back with bugler. those are my 2 options I think. Rifle opens on the 1st, Lope opens on the 5th. If we both tag out, My guess is I don't drive back 10 hours to shoot a Doe antelope... But I could be wrong too :p

As long as you can shoot up to 40 yards you could of shot atleast 15-16 bulls. I would say 13 or so was close enough to kill with a spear. And to think it is only going to get better.

I know..... But I think you jsut like having me in camp and for the long drives too. Although those are sometimes funner then the hunt, EH ?!?! :D

I agree, I couldn't make heads or tails out of what you typed, so I will just make it simple.

This AIN'T about you. It is now about IDB, as he assisted you to your best bull ever, you now have to be his man-slave and help him kill something that makes him nearly equal to his wife's bull from last year.

Whichever plan is best for IDB is the one you go for.

PS. I got an empty freezer if you need to off-load any steaks...

babble man,

when was the last time you shot a bow? are you a proficient caller?

go help bryce out. take the bow if you're proficient with it. Practice calling on the plane ride over.

I know it's not about me....... My choice is to Come over Rifle hunting. Bugler says I should go Bow. Got me thinking. I think he jsut wants me in Camp and for the ride over.

If I listen to him, I leave next Tues.......

Now you're making me try to explain, Not that I have to with Bugler, but some of you clowns I might have to.

1. Bugler passes 300 class bulls all day, I wouldn't. I would be in 2nd place shooting line all week and looking to scrape up any leftovers.

2. I'm killin' me a Wyoming Elk. Whether Bow or rifle. Just deciding when to go :D

Personally, this one makes the most sense to me:D

"Don't have alot of Vacation after the HAwaii trip, family stuff and hunting...and if I go with the Bow next Tuesday, I could burn that week, and then still hunt the following week with Rifle. I still have time off for Idaho deer hunt (Mule and Whitetail) and the Utah Deer will probably be jsut a weekend thing. I'd probably have to take 1 week unpaid, I still have those other Hunts to go on."

What does momma say....she's the boss?

Cash in the plane ticket, take a week unpaid and leave next tuesday. As long as the family is Ok with it you have all winter to work overtime to make up for the week.
You can only do the marathon hunts while you are young enough the physically handle it.
Give em hell. Besides you could make elk sack man purses and sell them on ebay to make up for the lost work!!!:eek:

I know it's not about me....... My choice is to Come over Rifle hunting. Bugler says I should go Bow. Got me thinking. I think he jsut wants me in Camp and for the ride over.

If I listen to him, I leave next Tues.......
You hit the nail on the head Moosie. It's always an easier trip with someone to chat with on the ride over and in camp. Plus it wouldn't hurt you any to learn some of the country before you just drop in and shoot an elk. :D :D

Either way. I hunted 7 days (-1 day with buzz in camp) by myself and enjoyed the greatest elk experience I have ever had, maybe that I will ever have. Either way I will be into elk and hopefully get the chance to fill my tag on my best bull.

P.S. If you decide for the archery hunt you might want to dust that bow off sometime soon. :)

I might post more video tonight to help you decide what you want to do. The video gets better and better.

Problem is that with what IDB passes over you aren't "really" backing him up...that is, the first 300 bull he doesn't take at 15 yards you stick and then he's helping you again instead of hunting and you're dealing with meat when your done...just another way to look at it and I'm sure that Bryce will help you any day you need it, he appears to be that kinda guy. Now if you WAIT until he's taken care of then it may be another story....

Of course you can't discount the comic relief that you'll likely provide ;)

Moosie- I've seen the area and heard the bulls...GO BOW! The bugling and amount of bulls is an amazing thing and I believe it will shut down quick with rifle shots. There are plenty of large bulls that I think in a four day period you could have a good chance at a 340 with a bow. Take the afternoons off and rifle hunt your doe antelope (We didn't hear a bugle at all after about 9:30 am). Then go back and hunt the evening. You may have to get a meat locker lined up to hold the antelope as there are a ton of them and it probably wouldn't take long to get them either. If you want to be choosy this gives you the opportunity and you can check out the area and get to know the bulls. I think Buzz and IDbugler have them named but I'm not sure.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildfan99
Back