Didn’t even know this was still a thing!

Probably not...but I heard they do mix live rounds with duds so that no one truly knows.
As I recall when that guy in Utah was the first to die years ago after the death penalty was reinstated by the Supreme Court, there is one live round and the other shooters have blanks. I am surprised this is still an option. If the execution is muffed and the condemned survives, he's a free man. Double jeopardy means he can only be punished once. Easy enough for the shooter to miss the mark. I'm also very surprised the electric chair is still an option anywhere. "Old Sparky" has a reputation for slow death. Doesn't appear to be painless though I'm not sure anyone has yet confirmed it hurts.

As I recall when that guy in Utah was the first to die years ago after the death penalty was reinstated by the Supreme Court, there is one live round and the other shooters have blanks. I am surprised this is still an option. If the execution is muffed and the condemned survives, he's a free man. Double jeopardy means he can only be punished once. sI
Ontario you really really don't have a great grasp of the law.

Double Jeopardy is entirely about prosecution, you can't be prosecuted on the same charges following an acquittal.

The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer is about the Utah execution by firing squad of Gary Gilmore in 1979.

Kinda wondered that as well, if they shot their respective weapons enough to be proficient for such a task, wouldn’t they also notice the difference?

Ontario you really really don't have a great grasp of the law.

Double Jeopardy is entirely about prosecution, you can't be prosecuted on the same charges following an acquittal.
It's the same principle. The condemned cannot be executed twice without receiving a second sentence ... which would require a second trial for the same offense. Double jeopardy. There are numerous cases of muffed executions where the condemned survived. Hangings come to mind. That might be why "hang by the neck till you are dead" became the sentence. Also, in the old days if the condemned's family didn't pony up a tip for the executioner, he would employ the "slow drop" and the poor bugger would be strangled ... hopefully. Sometimes robust individuals survived. The Polish court that tried the former camp commander at Auchwitz sentenced him to die by "slow drop." The executioner kicked the chair and I seem to recall they left him on the camp's gallows for a couple of days just to be sure he was dead.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back