Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Designing the perfect duck pond

mdunc8

So I've got a friend that is interested in creating some wetlands on his property here in the Gallatin Valley. He's asked for some input from me about what he should do, but I'm more of a fish guy and I don't duck hunt. He's not much of a hunter. I think he's more interested in just being a good steward of the land and providing more diverse habitat on his ranch. Being that I'll likely be one of the few that gets to hunt it, I'd like to make sure I make it as hunter friendly as possible. Assuming he follows through with his plans, what do you waterfowlers look for in a pond? Specifically, shape and size of the pond, location of shallow areas (north, south, upwind side, downwind side, etc.), and vegetation (both aquatic and surrounding the pond). If he actually gets this done, I think it could be a ridiculous waterfowl spot given its proximity to the river and the surrounding crops as well as create a little oasis for a handful of pheasant.

He should offer to make it for the D.O.T. and use it as a wetland Bank. I'm in Civil Engineering and we always need Wetland exchanges. If we have some property we can bank we usually do for projects.

As far as ho to build it, Talk to your local F&G duck bioligist and see what the local Flappers are doing.

I agree with Moosie..sometype of wetland mitigation project should be available if he works it the right way.

I've worked on a couple of pond designs. The best waterfowl ponds are spring fed, shallow, grow a lot of algae, and are adjacent to grain fields or actually consist of a flooded grain field.

Because the best duck hunting is in winter, ponds that can maintain open water in freezing conditions are ideal for hunting. Shallow ponds freeze faster than deep ponds as do ponds with little or no inflowing water during winter.

Duck Pond

If I was designing a duck pond, this is the guy I'd talk to: http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=827170

If I won the lotto, you can bet I'd be buying a piece of property along the Snake (or maybe even two :)) and hiring him as a consultant to design the perfect pond / set-up.

I don't think he built his set-up overnight, but anyone who argues that it isn't effective is seeing something completely different that I am............

Paul Sullivan a guide in Washington, owner of Aero Outdoors

Don't know him or how free he will be with information but a phone call certainly couldn't hurt much.

~ AO

Back