Deer/elk hunt in frank church wilderness

Cashnichols

Hey guys, I'm from Oregon, I commercial fish in alaska and the season went late this year so I missed my oregon elk hunt. Not elk hubting for a whole year just isnt an option for me.I've been doing a lot of studying on where to go and I've settled on the frank church wilderness. Thinking on flying in to mahoney creek. My plan is to cross the river.the and hunt 27 for mule deer in late October and then elk for the first few days of November which should give me some time to figure things out...hopefully...I've heard and read a lot of different opinions on the impact wolves have had. It sounds like there is a healthy mule deer population but the elk have took a pretty hard hit. I just thought it would be nice to get some real people's opinions on the matter rather than reading old forums. Anyways, should be fun regardless and looks like awesome very challenging country. I will also be pretty new to hunting country like this, but my plan is to head up on a big main Ridge towards good patches of timber and glass. It would be nice to have a little more confidence in animal populations, anybody been hunting there recently? How's it looking? I realize it's the largest wilderness country in the lower 48

It's been more than a few years since I was in that country, but we were looking for sheep. Saw a few deer/elk, but not a lot. It's stupid crazy cool country, but far from the most game rich I've ever been in. Good luck! FWIW, the deer and elk we did see were closer to the bottoms than the tops and in/near thick timber. If you are going to be there very long, I'd also take a shotgun. Lots of chukar along the river. Good luck!

Big country is an under statement, the church is unbelievably huge and rugged country. We were there for a week last Sept. saw more wolves than deer and elk combined. One guy killed a small 3 point buck near camp, the elk we did see were about half way down the mountain on the open ridges above the river. No easy way to get to them, either 3000 feet up or 3000 feet down and lots of miles in between to get to the elk. We were in 32a not 27 though, i would personally look at any other zone that has left over tags and hunt there. We had snow in Sept. where we were so plan accordingly, we never saw any other hunters so really the only thing flying in will get you is into a different area, there is no human pressure anywhere in the church that will effect the hunting as far as I know. There defiantly isn't a health mule deer population in the area we were in, we saw more deer in every unit we drove to getting to the church than we saw in the church in an entire week.

I've been to Mahoney Creek area on a sheep hunt in late October. The hunters at the strip had killed deer and elk on the main ridge. You'll kill a deer and will have to work for elk.

I appreciate all the info guys, it also made me look at a few other areas, and I don't want to sound like a panty but I'm curious about elevation gain, I'm looking now at hunting around 10000 feet, I've spent my life from sea-level to 1000 feet elevation. Think I need to be worried about altitude sickness?

Think I need to be worried about altitude sickness?

The only altitude sickness you'll get in the Frank is getting sick of gaining and losing it.

If you're referring to another area, that's hard to say. Some people are just more prone to it than others, regardless of their physical conditioning. I'd certainly be cognizant of it, take it slow early and stay well hydrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been in there since 2009 and it was pretty tough hunting back then. I believe the numbers have come back pretty good though. You're not going to find many airstrips that are known for both good deer and elk hunting. It seems like most of them are better for one or the other. Don't plan of finding many big bulls. I've seen very few elk in there that I would have squeezed on based on their size and the grueling pack out. You're going to have a blast though. Truly some amazing country...

While I haven't hunted the Mahoney Creek area I have hunted on horseback for deer and elk elsewhere in the Frank Church. You can expect snow by early September with even heavier snowfall at higher elevations by late October and early November. Not a practical time to hunt the area in my humble opinion. You might want to consider early September. As far as deer and elk numbers and trophy quality are concerned you might be disappointed. There are better opportunities elsewhere in Idaho that don't require as much effort.

I appreciate all of the advice from everyone, I hate it when people ask what spots to go to and they never do any research and I'm trying not to be that guy haha. I spent most of the day checking out harvest statistics and talking to biologists and hopefully got some good information. I'm now looking at a different unit- a Little higher elevation. I'll spend a few days there getting acclimated and scouting. Thanks again

I'd head over to the WY border region. There's simply lots of game around there, even if there are lots of other hunters as well.

Big country is an under statement, the church is unbelievably huge and rugged country. We were there for a week last Sept. saw more wolves than deer and elk combined. One guy killed a small 3 point buck near camp, the elk we did see were about half way down the mountain on the open ridges above the river. No easy way to get to them, either 3000 feet up or 3000 feet down and lots of miles in between to get to the elk. We were in 32a not 27 though, i would personally look at any other zone that has left over tags and hunt there. We had snow in Sept. where we were so plan accordingly, we never saw any other hunters so really the only thing flying in will get you is into a different area, there is no human pressure anywhere in the church that will effect the hunting as far as I know. There defiantly isn't a health mule deer population in the area we were in, we saw more deer in every unit we drove to getting to the church than we saw in the church in an entire week.

How did you do in 32A? Hunted that area for 27 years until the brush choked out the areas that had been logged previously (moved over to 51). Sorry to the OP for chiming in on top of his post. I have to agree with Pointer and Maxxis' assessment, though. That is some BA country over there!

How did you do in 32A? Hunted that area for 27 years until the brush choked out the areas that had been logged previously (moved over to 51). Sorry to the OP for chiming in on top of his post. I have to agree with Pointer and Maxxis' assessment, though. That is some BA country over there!

Saw some elk way out of the breaks of the Salmon and that is about it. Since all of the fires 90% of the main trail systems we went on were either too brushy or too covered in dead fall to make much headway on. We walked lots of ridge tops with very little sign but lots of old historic sign that looked several years old. Not even any foot prints in any of the rotten granite which will hold a track for a really long time. The trails that were cut open had outfitter camps on them and they were using horses to get out to the breaks. If i had it to do over again or if i ever hunt it again I will back pack hunt from the Salmon up instead of the top down.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back