MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Deer burgers?

Butcher

Trying to find how to make the perfect deer burger without them falling apart on the grill. I’ve tried adding flour, egg, pork fat etc. Id like to hear what you guys do?

My goto method for any burger includes egg and breadcrumbs, as mallard said. Disagree that deer burgers are disgusting cause family and I love em.

Approx 1 egg and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs per 1 pound of ground deer meat. Add whatever seasoning you like to this mix as well. As for the deer meat, I usually cut 10-20% pork fat into the grind for my plain ground meat as deer is so lean. If you arent adding fat to your ground meat, it will be a lot more difficult to hold together for a burger.

My recipe:

Start with straight ground venison, no additives.
Thaw out a package or two and put in a bowl.
Bust a couple raw eggs in the meat
Crush up a sleeve or more of saltine or Ritz crackers and dump in
Dry minced onion
Whatever spices you like, I typically just add black pepper and garlic
A little bar-b-q sauce of your choosing.

Blend it all together and make into 1.5" thick patties, wrap a slice of good bacon around the outside edge and hold in place with a toothpick.
Grill over hot charcoal only "carefully" flipping once. When they bacon is done they are done, I prefer rather rare.

Haven't had any complainers regarding this program.

deer burgers are disgusting?

man, you guys must royally suck at cooking or let most of your deer meat rot before processing it.

save the eggs and breadcrumbs for meatloaf and meatballs. burgers are neither of those things and should taste like neither of those things.

deer shouldn't be any different from beef, or elk, when it comes to keeping a burger held together.

cut it with 20% of your preferred fat ball it up and shape it into a disc. if it's falling apart you did it too delicately or the meat was too wet still after thawing.

Last edited:
I add 20% pork fat and have excellent burgers. My venison is elk though.

Pork fat, not a substitute piece of pork like a butt. You need to almost freeze it to get it not to clog up your grinder.

I grind my elk and pork separately at the big hole plate. They are very cold when grinding from time in the freezer but not frozen. Back in the freezer to get real cold along with the grinder parts after first grind.

I hand mix the two grinds and then grind together with the small hole grinder plate.

For venison burger intended for spaghetti, tacos, etc I don’t add anything. For burger intended for the grill in the form of a hamburger patty I always used to add pork fat but after trying beef fat this year I’ll be adding beef fat to burger from now on. I’ve also come to enjoy them smash burger style, with sautéed mushrooms and onions covered in cheese.

I grew up on deer and elk burgers. Never added any fat or anything to them. Just make the patty and put them on the grill, add your favorite spice. It's not rocket science. Delicious!

Maybe you don't make a real sized burger? If you try and make them super flat like something you get at McDonalds, then yes it will fall apart. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe we are weird, but we don’t add any fat to our deer and have never had any trouble with burgers falling apart?

I do portion the meat into balls and knead them just slightly so it isn’t crumbly before I make the patties, but that’s it. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I leave a lot of grind just straight venison. Tacos, spaghetti, etc.

My fat venison is shaped for burgers. We freeze in patty size.

I can't see adding anything to it as doing so makes it less healthy and increases the cost. May as well just buy corn fed beef. I have no trouble using up ground venison without wasting it on substandard burgers.

If you're obsessed, just add olive oil. That will make it hold a patty. I'm not eating it, though.

Bacon burgers please!!

2/3 of our ground is straight with no additives each year, but for the grill it's tough to beat a bacon burger. I'll grind/mix 15-20% by weight of quality bacon into "VBB" (veni-bacon-burger) packs every year. Kids love em and they hold together.

Bacon burgers please!!

2/3 of our ground is straight with no additives each year, but for the grill it's tough to beat a bacon burger. I'll grind/mix 15-20% by weight of quality bacon into "VBB" (veni-bacon-burger) packs every year. Kids love em and they hold together.
That does sound tasty...

Maybe we are weird, but we don’t add any fat to our deer and have never had any trouble with burgers falling apart?

I do portion the meat into balls and knead them just slightly so it isn’t crumbly before I make the patties, but that’s it. 🤷🏻‍♀️
X2. I’ve never added any fat to venison or elk and haven’t had any issues. Burger patties are very dense though. Quite filling.

I never add anything to them.
Never fall apart. And Delicious

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back