Yeti GOBOX Collection

Decoys in MT

montanadogs

So I was out scouting this evening for some new duck grounds, I saw something that really I have never seen before. A guy was setting out his decoys. I stopped and asked him if he was planning on leaving them there. "Of course." he replied. WOW.....I have heard of that but never seen it. Just out of curiosity; is it illegal in Montana to do that? I can't find anything on it. It kinda makes me a little mad but what can you do on public land! I did get a laugh though, while I watched some ducks go into them they all just flared about 100 yards out. Every flock that came in flared.....what an idiot.

MTDOGS

Don't know about Montana but here in Iowa you can't set until after midnight and you have to pick up by I believe 1/2 hour after sunset.I like the law .We get lots of people holding their spots early and then set decoys at midnight.Makes for a long night.Good luck to you.

If items are left on Public land... I would consider them "LOST" and you might wantto pick them up and LOOK for the owner... Next season. ;)

In Idaho, It used to be illegal to leave out decoys but Now you can leave them out durring the season all the time. Gunner can tell you about some people in his area that leave them out.

On Privte ground I can see someone doing it but on PUBLIC ? I know I wouldn't trust anything on public ground. Heck, We're lost Tre stands, Trail camera's..... I don't think a lot of people would think twice to snatch them.

According to the regulations there is nothing illegal about setting out decoys early. We have had situations where guys decide to use blinds we built on the river, it is public land and first come, first served.

We found a blind along the river with a written warning in it that said if you used this blind you had to get permission from so and so. We laughed it up pretty good over that one. If a guy thinks putting decoys out "saves his spot" his is an idiot.

Nemont

I called the F&G warden and found out that it is not leagal. He said "most of the time when people try to "save their spots" they arrive there to find people setting up about 30 yards from them. When it's dark you can't really see were other decoys are at." I'm glad I saw them so I didn't do that. Don't really want a confortaion. I'm leaving at 4 in the morning to ensure I get to the spot that I want to hunt 1st. Same lake but about 3/4 of a mile away. It will be an interesting morning.

MTDOGS

Did the Warden tell you where to find that in the regulations? I have read them and cannot find anything on it, unless as mtmiller says on a refuge.

I would be interested to find the rule in writing.

Nemont

Montanadogs,

Pretty sure the warden is wrong. I have never seen in the regs and I know a group of FWP employees that have been doing it for years. I don't think it is very ethical, but nothing illegal about it.

When I used to hunt the Red River we set up a Wire and Willow blind on a small island sand bar. The river came up and flooded the island and the Fire Ants floated to the top gripping grass stalks. The day before season we were checking on our blind, lo and behold some guys had put on 30 yard from us. I took the boat paddle and scooped up a few thousand of those fire ants and slung them into the offending blind. The next morning we were in our blind and here comes a boat up to the island, lands and 3 guys go into that blind......you never heard the shouting and cussing! After that we pretty much had it to ourselves. Now Montana, I don't know if ya'll have any ants, but that's my story! John

If items are left on Public land... I would consider them "LOST" and you might wantto pick them up and LOOK for the owner... Next season. ;)

In Idaho, It used to be illegal to leave out decoys but Now you can leave them out durring the season all the time. Gunner can tell you about some people in his area that leave them out.

More than once, I have cleaned up "litter" on My Public Lands that was left behind by hunters.... Always willing to help our environment by packing stuff out of My Public Lands.... :D

Now Private, is a diff approach, there you have to make sure to report all their violations on to the CAP line.....

I checked into even more. The warden thought I was talking about a refuge north of were I'll be were it is illegal. I too think that it is unethical. When I was stationed in Minot, ND we never saw that. But there were a million ponds etc to hunt. When we get there in the morning if he isn't out there then I think that we might gather them up and put them on the shore were he has been putting in his boat. I haven't ever seen anyone out there until this year. His license plate is from the Flathead Valley here in MT. I'll let everyone know what goes on, should be interesting.

MTDOGS

I've seen water level changes make some tangled up messes of decoys, strings and weights...leave em on the bank for him to find at three am in the dark with a flashlight. I will admit I've been too lazy to carry my decoys out if I'm going to hunt the same area two days in a row..but they're not in the water "saving" my spot, and if someone else had found em, they've probably got holes in their waders, too.

Well, it didn't go to bad. We got our limits but had to work at it. I set up in an area that would be a safe haven for ducks, but with the wind and the way they were coming in was right past the guy who set his decoys up 2 days early. We were about 200+ yards away but they would leave there area and walk the shore line towards us. He was shooting all morning but not a lot was falling. It was a lot slower for us but we managed. However by noon I got tired of him shooting at birds that were to far away, like 50+yards, and towards us. On occasion we could hear pellets dropping around us. I got pissed and yelled at him for being a choice word. He didn't care, just kept on shooting. When we left with our limits around 1pm he and his buddies were still there. Everyone else we encountered was quite pleasant. Was a nice Saturday morning. Now it's time to do some real waterfowl hunting Monday, Winter storm warning. Should be an epic day.

Back