Decoying tips?

wisconsinteacher

I'm headed to CO in 2 weeks to hunt antelope. I have a decoy and know a few tricks but am always open to more ideas. I've heard that it is best to wait until you within 100-200 yards away before letting them see the decoy. Any other tips? I will be hunting with a muzzleloader on private land.

Take it for what its worth. I haven't draw a tag so i haven't been able to try it. My grandpa always said sit next to a fence post and wave a white hanky.

You have to get within his territorial bubble I like to call it.

Too far away and he doesn't care if another buck is around and won't come to the decoy to chase you away.

I like to wait until he is on the other side of the does looking away and then pop it up.

Good luck.

Reactions: JEL
You also need to find a buck that is exhibiting territorial behavior. I've popped a decoy on a big buck with 12 does and he rounded them up and pushed them out of the country without a second look back. Make sure you deploy a buck decoy on a buck decoy that wants to fight. Otherwise, try a doe decoy on a buck hanging with a group of does. Sometimes the less aggressive (but still rutting) bucks come over and take a look, and with a muzzy, that may be inside your range.

Just got back from CO. I tried decoying and none seemed interested. Not sure if the rut was over but I only saw one harem of does and one buck. Truthfully, if your stalk is good enough, you’ll get within muzzy distance. I had 15 stalks and 12 of them I got within 150 yards. No decoy.

I'm headed to CO in 2 weeks to hunt antelope. I have a decoy and know a few tricks but am always open to more ideas. I've heard that it is best to wait until you within 100-200 yards away before letting them see the decoy. Any other tips? I will be hunting with a muzzleloader on private land.
What unit your hunting am going to hunt 110

I’ve tried the white bandanna trick within 100yd on pronghorn on the other side of a hill, drove the herd away. Same herd walked towards me when I slow crawled through the grass like a sick bear. They are curious animals! My wife’s uncle told me he tagged out once when curious pronghorn came to the vehicle radio as he ate lunch.

Back