De-boning, etc...

When y'all say let the deer hang if the weather permits? Enlighten me? I'm from Florida 90 degrees is not what I would consider permitting weather

When y'all say let the deer hang if the weather permits? Enlighten me? I'm from Florida 90 degrees is not what I would consider permitting weather

No that is not:) Growing up will always had a deer hanging in the shed until we ate it, but back in the day weather seemed to stay colder where we lived at the time. Dad would just go out and carve off some steaks or a roast and trim them before we brought them in. If a little *fuzz* started growing on the outside he would wipe it down with vinegar. Just how he was raised so continued on that way.
Sorry to say, but I have mine processed due to time. We never ask for burger, always ground. The processor we have used for years has never let us down, but when we take meat in you will not find a hair, spec of dirt or bloodshot. The *hangers* outside always comment on that and tell us of horror stories of what they see come in.

The only time I pay to have anything done is if I am out of state and it is too hot out and I do not have an option for free freezer space. I mostly grind up all but the best cuts, and that is way too easy to pay to have done. The $120 meat grinders sold on Ebay and Amazon are pretty amaizing these days, If I have a deer all trimmed out and de-boned I can run all but the back straps through the grinder in less than 1/2 hour. Elk is the only thing I have paid to have cut or frozen because of the logistics

We normally do our own, let em hang for five to seven days hide on in garage long as temps permit. 40s to mid 50s during the day and 30s at night is the upper limits. I cut and wife does burger. Add in about 10% smoked pork belly on most and just straight grind some for brats and smoking. use unground for jerky. Use a proccesor when time is a factor, but we can whack up a deer in a couple hrs. Get a bit more satifaction out of it kinda like catching fish on flies you tied or shooting game with your own reloads. No garage? Dad alwasy hung em under the eves on shady part of house. And we always debone, cept the ribs.

Last edited:
Just a thought for those thinking of building their own cooler. A cool-bot may be cheaper than buying a refridgerator compressor big enough. They 'turbo' a window AC unit.

http://www.storeitcold.com/

Since window AC units are pretty cheap, I've thought of going this route to building a cooler at my cabin.

1PT, that is a "cool" little gadget. Dad and I have been throwing the idea around for a couple of years. I almost bought a box truck with a reefer on it that would have been perfect to take off the frame and sit by the barn, but I didn't. It would sure be nice for our Indiana bow season, most years its still pretty hot and if you shoot one on Sunday. . .good luck trying to find someone open.

That would be my main use for it. Heck, this year it would have come in handy during gun season!

My wife, daughter and I do all of our own processing. I do the gutless method in the field and pack out meat and horns. The weather here usually doesn't allow us to hang any meat for 5-7 days. A cooler room will go into the new shop this spring.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back