Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Day 2 Mason Texas

huntin' lunatic

Since I had drawn 1st blood, Ron and Jacob were determined. Wednesday started off cold and windy. As we drove to our stands we saw about 8 deer. The sky started turning a pretty orange color when the first deer appeared. The wind was howling about 20mph from the NW. Close to 8:00, I hear a distinct WOP and shot. Jacob's voice on the walkie talkie breaks the silence, "Dad, got a spike". Ron calls me and says, "Let's go get him". That's one thing about Ron, he is as happy when we shoot one, as if he had shot him. We hunt for about another half hour then he shows up. Ron had seen 2 huge bucks and about a dozen does. We pick up his spike and see the shot placement. The pics will be graphic, because it will show what a 150 gr. Remington Core Lokt does to a deers neck at high velocity at 75yds. Time to go to work, but a break would come too.
That afternoon it warmed up a little but the wind made it feel cold. I had the old reliable does show up then these fellas invaded my bait. Schimtar Horned Oryx. The wildlife biologist says that the meat is pretty tasty but it takes a heck of a shot to bring one down. About 5 o'clock I hear a shot but couldnt tell where it came from due to the wind. Jacob on the radio, "Dad, I think I missed a 3pt". So I asked, "Where were you aiming and how did he react after the shot". Jacob replied, "The neck and he ran off". Told him to go out there and check for any blood but from he told me, I knew it was a clean miss, which I would rather him miss than wound one. No blood, nothing. He was down when we picked him up at dark. I told him, "You know that Babe Ruth struck out more often than when he hit homers, don't you? Dust yourself off, and keep taking shots like that". So, we did'nt have to skin nothing that evening but that did'nt mean we would'nt eat good. Jacob missing that deer did'nt effect his cooking skills.

Attachments

• 1stspikemason152011.JPG
    1stspikemason152011.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 150gr280exitwound.JPG
    150gr280exitwound.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 174
  • funbegins.JPG
    funbegins.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 166
  • i'myourhuckleberry152011mason.JPG
    i'myourhuckleberry152011mason.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 160
  • treasureitboys152011.JPG
    treasureitboys152011.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 164
  • moreschimtar.JPG
    moreschimtar.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 177
  • hungry.JPG
    hungry.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 175
Bucntz, had a young man from Wisconsin hunting with us. He works for the USDA and is now living in Temple Tx. I believe he will be in one of the pics from our last day.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back