Cushman meets a Creedmoor

Such an inspirational adventure had by all it seems. Thanks to good friends, landowners and state officials, we learned that Cushman farts!!

Seriously JC, proud of your willingness to open up and more than just contribute...on this thread, and all over HuntTalk. This place is better for you being here.

Thanks to everyone involved for sharing this hunt from several perspectives. Powerful stuff. Cush, your last post is about the most (and most courageous) info I have seen you post here. I know it feels unsafe to venture out of the box you built to preserve your safety and sanity. However, you and your brothers made it back. Taking advantage of opportunities like those on this hunt helps you rediscover who you were, and still are, despite the damage. Each of you deserves to heal. Doing it around brother vets is a strong way to go.

Not all hunting trophies are kept in the freezer or on the wall.

Congrats to all involved. I enjoyed this thread. If anyone deserves it it’s Cush. Glad you pushed yourself and got out of your comfort zone. Not always fun but you will be better for it. Glad for you!

Great story and hunt!! Landowners in that area can get a bad rap due to lack of access, glad you posted the positive side. Did you guys get to meet Matt from G&F? He had some disabled hunters out for an antelope hunt about the same time and may have helped with an elk hunt too.

That is Tom Horn country I believe, unless you were on the eastern side of the Laramie Range.
I could have shown you bigger fish on some state sections along the highway, lol.

For the questions about the elk population , 7 has been managed for trophy elk for years. They give a large number of tags but the herds is still over objective. Access is hard to get.

You could have gotten some great beer to go from The Library, they have cans now.

Keep that other disabled vet hunt in mind Cushman, maybe you'll get a bull tag for it. Antelope are also a possibility.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice, both of you!!! Congrats on a great adventure

Derek was looking for some Wyoming beer to take back east with us. We only found a few there in Wheatland’s liquor drive thru.

Not sure who Mat is, Martin and the Wardens were our POCs.

We cruised the State sections south of Wheatland looking for a Doe Lope but they were all on the west side. We found more lopes we couldn’t shoot than ones we could. Would of tagged out but I shot over the back of one bedded that we found in a WIA.

Ate some of the elk and antelope last night. Both turned out great.

Last edited:
Cushman needs a Creedmoor.

Fixed it for ya...

Indeed. Make it a .45-90 Creedmoor Sharps 74... ;)

creed_silh._.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the stories gentlemen! Congrats to both of you on a successful hunt. I know that whenever I have a trip that turns out emotionally and physically miserable, it usually results in some of the best memories and general positive changes to the way I function as well.

Keep it up Cush!

John it sounds like it was a unbelievable time afield! I'm sure the stories were grand the farts stinky but the experience must have been priceless! I still look forward to going out one of these days, but like you I will probably have to be kicked a bit to get me out there. I really enjoyed this story, and hope to hear more like this from you!!!!

I really have to say that this trip was life changing. With some of my mental and emotional issues from Iraq, I wasn't sure if I could do this. When Tony first brought the trip up to me in my mind I was coming up with every possible excuse to not be able to do it. I finally decided to do it and figured if I could do the bear hunt I could handle this. We have several months of a group text where we joked and made plans and got to know each other a bit. But, when I pulled into the Walmart in Laramie on the 22nd and saw their truck in the parking lot I kinda paniced and thought this shit just got real. So, the initial in person meeting went well and we wandered around walmart making fun of people and joking on each other, so this was cool. The next step was to meet the rancher. Anyone who knows me knows I kinda lack social skills, so walking up to a total stranger with my hand out to shake it and introduce myself was brutal for me. We talked with him a bit and then got to meet the family. I kinda stayed in the back of the group and didn't talk much, feeling uncomfortable and out of place. We went and set up camp and I told the guys I wanted them to push me a bit physically. I explained my physical limitations, but still wanted to hunt and not be a burden, so give me a bit of a kick in the ass. Well, they both did that lol Derek dragged my uphill onto a ridge, and Tony marched me all over the side of a mountain. They pushed me, and I pushed myself through pain and breathing issues, but I did it. I didn't always keep up, but didn't stop. Quitting smoking in July still wasn't time to get my lungs breathing properly at altitude in September. Yes, I hurt bad, even to the point of being in tears in my sleeping bag at night, but I didn't let it stop me. I've spent 14 years telling myself what I couldn't do without ever pushing myself to see what I could do. I'm kinda proud of myself. The pain actually felt good in a way, like when you first start lifting weights and hurt, but you know you've accomplished something. We sat around the table in the evenings and talked and farted and laughed and I got teared up a few times. I allowed myself to open up a little more than normal and the vulnerability was refreshing to be accepted and not mocked. Tony said repeatedly that I should come with an instruction manual. The last morning we were there we went back down to the house and visited with Carson's mom and grandmom. His mother cornered me the night before and flat out told me I didn't talk enough and should participate in conversations. So, we all sat around the table looking through old picture books and listening to stories of the homestead days and history of the property and family and hard times. I pushed myself to participate, even hugging the grandmother when we left. So, all in all, I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and what limits I've inadvertently set for myself throughout the whole trip, physically, mentally, and emotionally. I feel that I'm a better person now because of it. Tony and Derek never let me quit or feel stupid or unwanted. We all worked well together, even butchering elk and vacuum sealing and getting it into the freezer in less than 3 hours each. I'll never be able to thank them, or the biologist, and the rancher and his family enough for the trip and all that went with it. It was truly life changing.

Yes, I suspect you do. Why not order one today? :)

Actually the #3 is a better hunting rifle (more drop in the stock) and .45-90 is a bit of overkill in my experience.

This is one if not the best thread I have followed on here! Thank you for sharing.

Damn that looks like a good time. I've now got the hunttalk crappiest elk hunter badge, 12 years and counting. Cush, if you're still coming to Idaho this fall, I'd be proud to shake your hand.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back