PEAX Equipment

Critters in Weird Places

In the summer of 1991, while working for the USFS near Philipsburg. We saw a wolverine right off the skalkaho highway way down low and miles from any forested cover. There were four of us and we sat and watched it for 5 minutes. I never would have thought wolverine where it was but comparing it to the photos at the office, no doubt.

I saw a wolverine just outside of Plains, MT about a mile or two from the base of the ridge several years ago. It ended up getting hit on the highway a couple days later.

I don’t know that I’ve ever really seen anything that was crazily out of place considering I live among the Texas Hill Country High Fence Mecca.
I’m low fence but have seen blackbuck, axis and Barbary sheep on the land I hunt/hunted. Never killed any of it as it either didn’t have the chance or wanted the population to grow. Neighbors down the way have elk.

As far as critters in weird spaces; I was surprised once when a fox jumped down out of an old plywood tree stand as I was pinching a loaf.

I’ve been meaning to ask someone about this because it’s fascinating if it’s what I think it is. The MPG Ranch’s website has a link to trail cam photos called “Best of Buckeye 2021” that has a pronghorn doe on the catch. The ranch is in the Sapphires…

Lady must’ve had quite the adventure to get there.

IMG_0527.jpeg

I know an area here in western Oregon that has a pretty good population of Fallow Deer. I talked to a local and he told me that a rancher decided to raise Fallow Deer for fun and profit, but he thought a five-strand barbed wire fence would be enough to contain them. He was wrong. Now there is a breading population of Fallow deer running wild in the area and has been for around 30 years that I know of.

My mom’s neighbor photographed this bighorn ewe in her pasture near Coeur d’Alene, Idaho a few years ago. She probably came from the Thompson Falls area.

When I was a kid, a mountain goat showed up and hung out down the road a little ways from our place. I suspected it came from the east side of Lake Pend Oreille. Then someone shot it. 😡

IMG_20170614_111416657.jpeg

In the 70’s only the far southwestern tier of Kansas counties regularly had armadillos. Now they range as far as southern Nebraska. And they regularly show up making noises in the woods, making me think that deer or turkeys might be approaching.

Last edited:
Saw an armadillo floating through Pensacola pass into the Gulf of Mexico.
I’ve seen red deer in Alabama.
Ive seen snow geese land in a clear cut in a heavily timbered/hilly part of Alabama.

In the 70’s only the far southwestern tier of counties regularly had armadillos. Now they range as far as southern Nebraska. And they regularly show up making noises in the woods, making me think that deer or turkeys might be approaching.

I forgot about armadillos. My friends south of Topeka told me years ago they’d get to me. I’m 80 miles north of the Kansas line, this one was hit on the highway near where I live in spring 2022.
IMG_0695.jpeg

I never saw it but they dispatched a young bighorn ram off of 80th street west in Billings.

They think he came from the Miles city/ Yellowstone heard that is locked up by private. Confirmed it by the nutrient sample from him.

Said he walked all the way up the Yellowstone 150 miles.

I never saw it but they dispatched a young bighorn ram off of 80th street west in Billings.

They think he came from the Miles city/ Yellowstone heard that is locked up by private. Confirmed it by the nutrient sample from him.

Said he walked all the way up the Yellowstone 150 miles.
Locked up by private? 158CD27F-BEF4-4DB4-91C8-A218F241B142.jpegThat might be a bit of a stretch I believe the rest of it though. I certainly wouldn’t report a sighting for fear of what the fwp might do.

Back