Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Crazy mountains HD 580-21 Elk hunt

HUNT-TRAP-FISH

Hey all !
New to the forum and making my first post. I drew the 580-21 Elk tag this year for the south end of the Crazies. They only put out 25 tags but I know access is brutal down there. I plan to hunt archery and rifle season. Does anybody have any advise or know of any ranches that might give access?

THANKS !!

Good luck very tough country and very tough access unless you have a ranch to get in on which isn't easy either. A lot of those ranches are also getting hunted pretty hard on the shoulder hunts also.May push the elk up very high or on a no man land ranch. Unless you have a hookup on a ranch it will be pretty tough.

You've got a really good tag and the access is harder than the hunt. Good luck.

The public land options aren't very good, nor are the private options unless you want to pay thousands. Forget about getting up Sweetgrass drainage as the landowners block it during hunting season. Trail 136 is contested and the landowner has posted it. You can theoretically use it, but I got a trespass ticket and am fighting it to help clarify that the landowner is unjustified in blocking access. https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?273455-My-East-Crazies-Trespassing-Trial

Negotiations are happening and these things could change, but probably not by the hunting season.

Just curious... With the high country checkerboarding in the Crazies... is this land posted up high? I realize you 'cant' hunt on private land posted or not without permission, but I've got to wonder.. goat hunters must quietly break that all the time? Its clear by the pictures that fishermen and hikers visit private lakes and cross private to visit public lakes as well.
What is the situation up there? I have hunted the solid USFS on the far north end from Martinsdale, but never screwed around in the Sweet Grass BT Creek are much. I'm more interested for fishing and summer stuff than hunting, as that is not the goat tag I apply for.

crazy.jpg

Just curious... With the high country checkerboarding in the Crazies... is this land posted up high? I realize you 'cant' hunt on private land posted or not without permission, but I've got to wonder.. goat hunters must quietly break that all the time? Its clear by the pictures that fishermen and hikers visit private lakes and cross private to visit public lakes as well.
What is the situation up there? I have hunted the solid USFS on the far north end from Martinsdale, but never screwed around in the Sweet Grass BT Creek are much. I'm more interested for fishing and summer stuff than hunting, as that is not the goat tag I apply for.
People should call in advance to make sure, but I don't think ranches care about goat hunting. The Sweet Grass Ranch (Carroccias) requires you to sign in to access the Sweet Grass drainage in the summer to fish and camp, but access to the trail head is blocked by the Rein Anchor and Sweet Grass Ranches during the elk season. These guys are very personable, but want to control access.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back