Coyote Shooting Justification

Yeah, I got to yacking and wasn't very clear about what I was saying as far as what my rangefinder was trying to tell me. My skull can be a fairly scary place when there's alot going on.
I own (and am soon replacing) a Leupold RX-3 rangefinder. I thought it was pretty cool because the lcd can be switched to show not only line-of-sight, but holdover... both at the same time. While that's just ducky, it has a VERY poor and VERY slow laser, and when you need a reading in the worst way as fast as possable, it just blanks out.
This yote was trotting through the grass straight across a cayon from me at what I estimated to be around 450 yards. I got into a sitting position and whip the finder out, cause he sure looks small way out there. I want to kill him, not make him smarter by just flinging lead at him. I'm shooting a 7mm Rem mag with 70grs of IMR7828 (a little hot), 154gr Hornady Interlock at something near 3,200fps. It usually lays right in there at exactly 300yards.
The finder goes stupid... just like it did later in Colorado. I'd lazer the grass right alongside the dog, freeze... wait 5 seconds -and nothing. Did this 10 times -even on bushes- blank screen with no numbers.
So I raise it way up the ridge to a metal water trough, and bounce a beam off of it. It must of had the right angle because it said 675 yards, but whatever "holdover" it was telling me was incoinsidental, because I wasn't shooting the tank and the yote was way across the ridge. But at least it gave me the aparrent depth of that particular canyon. I guesstimated the dog was 200 yards closer (450-475?) and held over 20+ inches.
Good trigger break, and the vertical crosshair was perfectly intersecting his shoulder. 50/50 chance I smoked him.

Nice vid greeny. I plan to break my new 264 in on a few in the next couple weeks.

I could watch that stuff all day long! A 200 grain bullet sure does the trick.

I just read back over some old posts on this thread and saw that on 10/9 you referred to that coyote encounter we had Greenhorn. If I remember right he wasn't running til about the 5th shot! :D

No fault to you, that scope was WAY off, and that gun is one dangerous P.O.S when it's jammed. :eek: I think it's about time that thing gets a shot at redemption. I'll run the camera.

I don't feel so bad by missing at 200 yards when I couldn't put a round on the paper at 10 yards. Should take that scope off and just use those open sights on that rifle.

very nice video Greenhorn. come and take as many as you want here. maybe we'll get some of our pheasants and rabbits back. got 37 of them one winter. 22-250 and a fast snomobile. take you to the farm also. maybe get some quail back down there.

I think it should get a few academy awards: best feature-length hunting film, best musical score, and best shooting (perfect gut shots).

I have a son who does a lot of preadtor hunting, for there hides. One year he got into shooting them with a video camera mounted on top of his rifle.
One of my favroite viedos he calls this coyote in very close. When you finally see the coyote there is nothing but the whole head of the dog in the picture frame, very, very close with that oh $hit I screwed up look. Then my son shoots, his rifle is on a tripod, then all you see is big chunks and hair floating in the whole frame it seems like forever.
Needless to say there was probably quite of bit of sewing on that one!

Back