Cow Calls

RobG

What cow call works well and is relatively easy to use? Those diaphragms are too tough for me. I have a hoochie momma with various settings that all sound the same to me, none of them particularly like an elk. Maybe they work well enough.

Is there a good website to show the proper sounds to make?

Last edited:
The reed type calls are a very good option. Primos Cow Girl is a good one, I like the IMAKA DA BULLCRAZY call from them too. It gives you a different sound if nothing else.

I use those plus my mouth diaphragm calls depending on what's going on.

I just got a set of mouth diaphragms made by Primos (design looks very similar to the ones Steve Chappell makes/uses). I am not a diaphragm guy because the vibration of the latex (insert jokes here….:D) tickles my mouth too much and they don't work for me. This series works very well and I can use them very well because they have a palate plate on the top of the call which provides separation between the latex and the roof of your mouth….thus no tickling feeling! The advantage is you can cow call and bugle with the same call. Good luck with whichever you decide. Some good options provided above as well.

I've got a box of them. I don't know if one works better than the others. I will say that a cow call with a closed tube will freeze during the general season, sound like a duck, and then stop making noise altogether. So I go for the exposed reed.

Honestly a couple nights a week the wife and I put in a DVD of favorite elk hunts and turn on the stereo really loud for a half hour or so and just blow calls to mimic the live animals on TV.
The dog hates it and we have no idea what the neighbors really think about us but who cares it seems to work for us.

What cow call works well and is relatively easy to use? Those diaphragms are too tough for me. I have a hoochie momma with various settings that all sound the same to me, none of them particularly like an elk. Maybe they work well enough.

Unless your trying to call in junior, do yourself a favor and throw away the calls. Maybe keep a diaphragm in your mouth to "stop" for the shot is about it.

What type of diaphragm call do you have? Single reed or something more complicated? Are you trimming it to fit?

I had a primos single reed and it worked well, then I bought the All Star from Elk 101 and it was even easier to use. http://www.elk101.com/store/bugling-bull-elk-101-com-all-star

Now I run that for hands free, and one of tjones calls from Bitterroot Custom Calls. I just got it last year, and in two encounters with cows when I was testing it out they totally perked up and in one case came at me (the other time they were across a road).

Check out this video of Chapelle talking about the sounds he is looking for, a lot of great info here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywCv1EcBjdU

I just got a set of mouth diaphragms made by Primos (design looks very similar to the ones Steve Chappell makes/uses). I am not a diaphragm guy because the vibration of the latex (insert jokes here….:D) tickles my mouth too much and they don't work for me. This series works very well and I can use them very well because they have a palate plate on the top of the call which provides separation between the latex and the roof of your mouth….thus no tickling feeling! The advantage is you can cow call and bugle with the same call. Good luck with whichever you decide. Some good options provided above as well.

Me too.

The included CD seems to work well for learning purposes because I'm about as amateur as it gets when calling, but the last couple of years I've been able to hold some bulls attention. Plus with the diaphragms the obvious advantage is having your hands free to work the bow and arrow come crunch time.

Pick up any double bull. Make sure it has an aluminum frame rather than plastic. Aluminum holds its shape when tweaked for shape and latex tension. Double bull with loose tension gives you a deeper tone then a light single.

A call like the primos hyper lip single and double are a good starting point. If you want a true eustress call tone and pitch you should use an open reed. I prefer diaphragms for cow talk once you get use to them. Throw away your hoochie mama.

I used to use a Hyperlip. I've found life to be much simpler once I learned to completely rely on reeds to use for calling.

a6473a313c9f2d1f60ea78_l__68412.1383844271.1280.1280.jpg

Elknut Elk sounds CD and MP3

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back