Cost of reloading vs factory loads.

My experience is that reloading is a hobby and has never been economically viable. Especially if I consider the cost of my time.

But I still do it for large rifles for the fun of it.

Everything else (pistol, 223 etc) better to visit an online retailer.

Just as an example, “if” I were to purchase ammo from one of the major retailers, for my “retired” hunting rifle....the price for a 20 round box starts at the upper $50.00’s and goes to near $100.00, depending upon the type of bullet used. I can (and do) load with a somewhat expensive “premium bullet, to slightly higher velocities and slightly more accurate cartridges for under $30.00/box of 20. Add to this the pleasure and satisfaction (hobby) of hand-loading.....it’s a “no-brained” for me! The vast majority of our firearms have “never” had a round of factory produced ammunition fired through them!

Then if you “figure-in” my present hunting rifle cartridge.......factory ammunition cannot be bought! It’s a hand-load proposition “only”. Though as an AI cartridge, I can fire factory ammo in it...if I had to! So, if you were to “ever” want to start shooting some of the “dozens” of different “wildcat” cartridges popular today....they are hand-loading “only”! memtb

Then if you “figure-in” my present hunting rifle cartridge.......factory ammunition cannot be bought! It’s a hand-load proposition “only”. Though as an AI cartridge, I can fire factory ammo in it...if I had to! So, if you were to “ever” want to start shooting some of the “dozens” of different “wildcat” cartridges popular today....they are hand-loading “only”! memtb

Which AI? I just bought a 280 and am looking forward to loading for it when the snow leaves us.

Which AI? I just bought a 280 and am looking forward to loading for it when the snow leaves us.

VikingsGuy, It’s a .375 AI. Loading for your 280 AI will likely be a little less expensive than for my AI! Good Luck with your 280 AI, I’ve heard nothing but “rave” reviews about the cartridge! memtb

Depends on what you are reloading for. I second that if you know what you are doing, reloading gives a huge performance edge as you are tailoring your loads to what your gun wants. I chalk it up as I’m reloading match grade for the same cost or less than cheap factory ammo. Not to mention it is fun seeing how a change in charge or seating depth or primer can change the way your gun shoots. It’s an adult science project finding that sweet load that your gun wants.

This has come up before so I will stick to the Reader's Digest version of my past responses - in short, it takes high volume shooting and a disciplined price focus to save money reloading. For the average hunting round it is not cheaper, but rather is done as a hobby, to maximize performance, to load for an atypical cartridge or to have more control over bullet selection.

You want to save money handloading get a Weatherby cartridge of some flavor and shoot premium bullet's in it. Use an inexpensive Lee single stage press and dies and Lee powder measures. I started with the Lee Load All hammer type set in a 7mm Rem Mag shooting 175gr Herter bullet's. They didn't shoot real well but killed everything I hit with them! Then the ammo i made was less expensive than what I could buy and I didn't shoot all that much. I'm much better set up today and even though I don't buy all the gadgit's, I'm never gonna break even loading. And I use mostly standard cup and core bullet's! Yet for some strange reason I doubt I'll ever break even! Now if you inherited all the tools and don't shoot a lot you might just save a couple bucks. Knowing what I do about it now, I'd do it all again!

On most of the cartridges I reload for, I've calculated a savings, there are a few that I feel I break even on. But going forward and seeing prices on factory ammo going up, I think the savings will increase.

I don't reload my self. But have a couple of friends that do. They won't think twice before blowing through 150 rounds trying to find a load that is one hole. And that's with any thing they shoot. So they spend lots of time and money.
I get them to work a load up for me I tell them to stop at anything under moa. And I buy Nosler. That are not cheap. Like I am putting together a rem 700 in 3006. I am buying 165 gr partitions that are blems. I have so far 100$ in 250 of the bullets. If I buy two boxes of that load I am at 90$.
It all in what you want.
I want T bone my budget say ramen noodles. So i make it work. The 3006 will only ever get the 165 partitions and every time I get them on sale that's what I will buy. . It would be cheaper to shoot corelock

It can save you money if you are a high volume shooter and you buy components in bulk.
I load 9mm, 45 ACP handgun ammo on a Dillon progressive. +/- 5K rounds a year. A few years ago it was 2-3 times that. I was shooting a couple of matches a month and practicing 2-3 times a week.
I load +/- 1500 rounds of precision .223 and 6.5 Creedmoor a year. Maybe half as much .308.

Premium hunting ammo is so good now it’s hard to justify the time and effort to load it anymore.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back