Coolers

. A few years back, I bought a Pelican cooler like this https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-coolers-for-camping/ because I wanted something to keep ice longer and thought it would be cool (no pun intended) to get something that matched my Pelican Storm cases. That was the absolutely worst mistake I've made in buying stuff for camping. I forget exactly what size it was, but it was the size of a 100 quart with something like 4 inch side walls. So the interior wasn't anything close to what I needed. On top of that, the thing was so bulky it was a pain in the *** to move around even when it was empty. I paid a fortune for it and took a helluva beating to pay to ship it back. What I have now is way more manageable. I don't take a lot of perishables out with me, so I actually get by with two 28 quart Colemans. MUCH easier to load in the truck.

coleman extreme coolers for me. This year I put frozen 1/2 gallon milk jugs and regular ice in 2 70 quart coolers. I put the regular ice in 2 gallon zip lock bags. I then had some left over pink board insulation. I put. chunk in the front of the truck then the two 70 quart coolers side by side. then pink board on top and in front and a couple pieces on the sides. Then I covered this with 3 moving blankets that I had lying around. Drove 1000 miles in a day and a half, got to camp on Thursday and I was in the mid 60-70 the whole trip. Buddy shot his elk opening day and packed it to the truck on Sunday. Both coolers were frozen solid yet on Monday afternoon. Put the coolers in the truck Tuesday night. A little planning and insulation goes a long way to protect your ice/coolers

I've used Yeti, RTIC, Pelican, and Canyon Coolers. Canyons are the way to go IMO.

Orion 65 holds all the ice jugs needed and does not get opened until the meat needs put on ice for the trip home. My other cooler that I pack full of gear is a igloo 120. Between the two I have enough room for a bull elk and ice jugs for the ride home.

We use 150qt coolers, and we have a put a quartered (bone in) mature elk with a meat bag and ice in one of them, multiple times.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back