Caribou Gear Tarp

Cooler opinions

jtayclay

Yeti 160 vs 210.
I need a new cooler for hunting and fishing mostly. Anyone that has experience with these two, please give me your thoughts.

Besides killing a bull every blue moon, I’m mostly putting whitetail, mule, and hogs in my coolers unless on the Gulf.

I guess I should have added this bit of info., but I’m not too worried on price because I’m getting it for 40% off.

Last edited:
I have a 210 (but not a yeti). One thing to consider is lugging the thing around. I didn't think much about it and really don't like it because it is a PIA to move especially full. If I was to do it again I would get a couple smaller ones.

I just bought a 165 QT Igloo from the local Igloo Company Store for $100 last week. It might not hold ice as long as a Yeti, but the cost difference will help cover the cost of ice for a while. Carrying it empty is no problem for one person, full you would like a second set of hands for sure.

You need to decide if a Yeti (or whatever brand) of those giant coolers is even necessary. The big 210 qt coolers require a couple people to move and take up a bunch of space. If you plan to go in and out of them to get drinks, etc then they really don't do that much better than a regular cooler especially for weekend use. A couple of the "extreme" Igloo or similar coolers will likely work just fine and are easier to move around

At $800 retail you can buy multiple smaller coolers and a pile of ice or a deep freeze and a generator.

I only pack the 150 and 120 for long trips and they don't come out of the truck. Use 2 65's all the time.

Last edited:
I have a 210 (but not a yeti). One thing to consider is lugging the thing around. I didn't think much about it and really don't like it because it is a PIA to move especially full. If I was to do it again I would get a couple smaller ones.
I agree. The weight is definitely an issue! I’m only looking at Yeti because I’m getting 40%

I use two 120 qt K2's. They work very well for a week in elk or deer camp. Any larger would seem very difficult to handle. The 120's when full are a two man job to move.

Last edited:
Second the opinion of many small coolers. I have the 65s and love having multiple ones. I can bring as many as I think I'll need and I like being able to separate meat out in multiple coolers rather than packed tightly in one. For reference, 1 deboned deer will fit tightly in a 65 cooler. I prefer to use two. 3 works for an elk. For moose, I bring the freezer and a generator ;) lol

I debated the same a few years back, was deciding between the big yeti or an Rtic. Didn't buy either because of weight. For hunting/fishing and keeping meat cool, a 160 qt igloo has worked just fine. Much cheaper and easy to move around. Bought 2 at wally world on sale for a little over 100 bucks. A yeti full of meat and ice, ain't moving. Use your coupon for some of their other coolers. Like a smaller yeti to keep food at camp.

I own a yeti and a pelican. They are so heavy I never use them. They also don't hold much for there size. I would go with a Coleman extreme. Costco has great deals on them too.

I have a Grizzly 165 and it is a beast. I can fit a processed cow elk and a antelope in it. It has to be partially emptied before I can move it. Otherwise two guys struggle to budge it. With that big of a cooler it is hard to get even cooling If you put 4 quarters in it. Dry ice has to be broken up and set between cardboard in every nook and cranny. It has its a few advantages over a set of smaller ones, but not many. It fits in my hitch carrier about perfect and stays there most of the trip. I chain it down with two pad locks and don’t have to worry about it going missing. We carry plastic bags with us if it’s hot out and use it as a ice water immersion cooler to rapidly cool quarters. Then we will pull the plug and fill it with dry ice for the trip home.

I have a 100 quart thick molded cooler (Cabela’s brand) and fit a whole quartered Mule deer along with two frozen gallon jugs in it. It’s about 45 pounds empty so I can move it by myself but when loaded, I’d need help. The whole thing seems very large and bulky, I couldn’t imagine using a larger one of that type. If I buy another for meat, I’ll probably get one of the big Igloo ones.

I purchased one of the largest Yeti's available a few years ago, the 250. Super nice for putting animals in, not so nice to move....ever. I ended up selling it and getting a few Orion's because I can move those on my own, even when full.

I have a 210. I can move it by myself empty but never even close if it is even 20% full. I have a cap on my silverado so it fits well and is hidden from the public when driving. I think its a sweet setup for having ice in a cooler stay cold for 10 days. It definitely takes some pre-planning to get things packed how you want so that you dont have to move it after it is full

Another vote for two smaller ones. I have a 123 Engel and it's a beast to move around even empty.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back