Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Cool non-typical lope

dwhite0622

I just got him back from the taxidermist. This is my first pronghorn, and I have a feeling it will be my last of this sort.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 993
  • Lope 1.pdf
    409.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Lope 2.pdf
    279.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
that is cool

Just curious, did you see the extra horn before you shot him or was it a surprise?

That is neat! Good choice on the Euro, those extra spikes would be tough to display on a shoulder mount.

My teen step-daughter has protruding horns like that. They are retractable. But they are usually exposed.

I am not a biologist but I wonder if it's just a deformity or if maybe it could be some kind of a "throw back." (Not sure if there really is such a thing as a throwback).

During the Pleistocene there were several different "species" of pronghorn, some of which looked a little bit like that. (stockoceros onusrosagris) Maybe they weren't different species but just morphed into what we have today? The symmetry is what makes me think that. Oh well, that is a really cool animal.

Last edited:
I am not a biologist but I wonder if it's just a deformity or if maybe it could be some kind of a "throw back." (Not sure if there really is such a thing as a throwback).

Atavism is the tendency to revert to ancestral type. In biology, an atavism is an evolutionary throwback, such as traits reappearing which had disappeared generations before.

Atavism is the tendency to revert to ancestral type. In biology, an atavism is an evolutionary throwback, such as traits reappearing which had disappeared generations before.

Bingo! I just came back from Wikipedia to see if there really is such a thing and, well, what you said. Now, let's get to work on that Bison Latifrons! And a ton of other megafauna that I'd love to hunt.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back