Cooking bobcat

I'm going to be brining, rubbing, and smoking a bobcat next weekend. I've been talking about trying it for years, finally gonna send it when I've got a bunch of buddies in town for the outdoor show.
Good deal, let me know how it turns out.

Some people eat raccoons.
We ate them all the time growing up; because I was stupid,and young, I payed no attention and don't know exactly how. I do think it was parboiled, then roasted with carrots and potatoes, sweet or Irish. Delicious.

Coon doesn't taste like much of anything to me, but some people really like it. I skin them in the woods and leave the carcass for scavengers. The hide is much easier to tote without the coon in it.

Coon doesn't taste like much of anything to me, but some people really like it. I skin them in the woods and leave the carcass for scavengers. The hide is much easier to tote without the coon in it.
I hear that you can sell the coon meat here for $10, I don’t think the hide has any value here.

I don't think it does here, neither. I take the hides for my own use.

I've heard people claim $20 for a big fresh coon here. There was a period years ago buying coons for meat go so popular buyers had to be particular they weren't getting roadkill.

I don't think it does here, neither. I take the hides for my own use.

I've heard people claim $20 for a big fresh coon here. There was a period years ago buying coons for meat go so popular buyers had to be particular they weren't getting roadkill.
I haven’t heard about selling road kill here but you had to leave a foot on the carcass here.

My dad trapped and any live coons he found he sold the meat to coworkers at the steel mill. He always left a paw attached so guys would know it was a coon instead of a possum. I think most guys smoked them on the BBQ pit. He sold them for $5 but this was 40 years ago.

I went camping with a buddy a couple of years ago and we brought one to cook. We seasoned it and put it on a grate over the coals. Every so often we would squirt vinegar on it like you do when slow cooking a pig over coals. We ate it with bbq sauce.

Basically treated it like a pig pickin. It was great.

Back