Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

colorado's best mulie unit

motroutfisher

Ok guys, if you had 13 PP for deer, where would you burn them? I have 13 mule deer points and I am thinking about actually coming out for a hunt in 2011. I have read a lot about the various units, harvest stats, record book entries etc but I am curious to hear from some of you western hunters about what you think the best units are for DIY spot and stalk for quality public land deer. I was thinking about 61 or the units in the northwestern corner. I have the same number of elk points and it would be nice to deer hunt an area to become a bit more familiar with it before planning an elk hunt. Is that even a good strategy? Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks and keep posting all the great info!

Colorado's climbing out of a hole right now.

You could get a good buck though.

But I had waited 13 years, I'd probably wait another two or three just to be sure

You'd be hard pressed to find any GMU that has thrown out more BIG Bucks in the past 10 years than GMU 44. Its very popular with well known western hunting magazine types ;)

But the deer did get hit pretty hard the winter of 07/08

I hunted GMU 21 this year and did OK, but its gone way down hill. But if you read Huntin' Fool, Monster Muleys, etc... they are still hyping it up as the place to be LOL! Probably trying to keep everyone out of GMU 44 IMO :rolleyes:

The western hunting magazine types never seem to mention they lease premo private, directly in the migration path for the stellar unit 44 hunts.

I hunted GMU 21 this year and did OK, but its gone way down hill. But if you read Huntin' Fool, Monster Muleys, etc... they are still hyping it up as the place to be LOL! Probably trying to keep everyone out of GMU 44 IMO :rolleyes:

Here is the Huntin' Fool "hype" for your hunt, word for word:

"Plenty of public land and great access. Big bucks but tougher dates and a lot of pressure. Season dates make for a tough hunt."

I don't know....that really doesn't sound like they are overhyping it to me. In general, I think people read a lot more into what these magazines write than what they are really saying.

Maybe I do read more into it because I'm a little torqued and my favorite GMU's being talked about too much the past 5 years

Wasnt all that long ago when I could get a 3rd season 35/36 tag as a leftover right up til the day before the season openned and GMU 21 took 1 point. Then in 2005 both came on the radar of a couple magazines, websites, and DVD makers.:(

But... I will find me a new favorite GMU to play in, just havent figured it out yet LOL! ;)

Wasnt all that long ago when I could get a 3rd season 35/36 tag as a leftover right up til the day before the season openned

Didn't have a really bad winterkill in that area a few years ago? I think they cut tags back significantly, and the population and big buck numbers are in the tank as in good luck finding a buck.

I would look for a 3rd or 4th season hunt in an area that may produce a good buck or at least in an area that has high buck/doe numbers. Go hunt it and have a good time.

I'm sitting on a pile of points myself, and can't seem to find a unit that I think it worth spending them on. Montana seems to be the place to hunt these days. At least for me anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will see how the winter plays out. How is the public access in 44?

I would honestly bank a few more points and get in on a Ranching for Wildlife area up in the North West part of the state. If you've waited this long, another couple years wouldn't hurt and most of them start drawing around 13 or 14 points.

motroutfiisher. you looking at archery or gun seasons?

can be a great strategy to hunt both your deer and elk in the same units if you can pick one that makes decent use of the points you have and that gives you a shot at both within 4-5 years or so of each other.

Unit 2 (for elk) may be too many years away for you, especially if nonres. just depends on your preferences. Some great deer up there.

61 could be a great option as you can draw deer and elk now or very soon. But be forwarned 61 is not considered a big bull unit by many--although some whoppers come out of there, most guys get 300-class or less bulls (archery is all I have paid attention to though). As a nonresident 13 elk points is no-mans-land, IMO if you want to hunter early rifle in NW part of the state.

Guess in your shoes I'd maximaze getting the best possible deer tag knowing it may well no be the same elk unit you end up in...

I tried your approach and deer hunted unit 10 some years back as a warm up for drawing elk. Among other things it convinced me I did NOT want to hunt unit 10 for archery elk, so it was actually a good investment in that regard.

good luck. 13 points ain't a bad place to be...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back