PEAX Equipment

Colorado Unit 80 General Scouting Questions

bdlittleton

first post, hoping to gather some useful information.

I'm beginning scouting now with the intent of making my first OTC trip in 2017 or 2018 depending on availability of funds and my vacation time.

I work as a natural resource consultant professionally so I have access to good GIS data and I've already been creating and pouring over maps of the area. I would like my first hunt in Colorado to be Unit 80 as I have spent more time in this area of the state and have a lot of found memories of hiking and fishing in this area when I was younger. I intend to put in for the mule deer draw for 2017 and also purchase an OTC elk tag.

I am leaving tomorrow for a family trip to do some fishing and hiking with my kids and my parents and I plan to take one morning to myself to go out and see if I can locate some elk in the Handkerchief Mesa area. The last time I was in South Fork (2006) I remember hiking up here and seeing some elk, I also had really good luck fishing Poage Lake, so my very preliminary plan for 2017 is to basecamp there and hunt the North Mountain, Handkerchief Mesa, Ribbon Mesa, and Hogback Mesa area.

I know this is a heavily pressured unit and competition will be high, so I am not expecting an favors here. Just hoping to hear from other hunters about there experience with this area. I am a meat hunter/ experience hunter first and foremost and I am really just wanting to get some time in the mountains under my belt. My hunting experience has been entirely on whitetails and pigs in Texas and I'm just trying to stretch my legs a bit before I get to old to do so. Also, I enjoy hearing other peoples hunting stories as much as making my own, so I'd really just like to start a conversation with people with experience in this area.

thanks,

Brandyn

I've hunted that area before and you are correct, it receives a lot of pressure, but so does everywhere else in CO. Knowing the terrain will give you an advantage. Will you be bow or gun hunting? The elk will not be in the same places that you've been seeing them during the summer. In the summer they stay up high above timberline and head down to steep, thick, and nasty places once season starts. If you hunted opening week of archery, you might could get on them before they head to the really nasty spots.

This is obviously going to be a very dated response here. I happen to live in Unit 80, in the mountain foothills.
Currently, (as of Aug. 5th), it's been raining very hard for the past 2+ days. So, if you're planning on spending time in the backcountry where you've indicated your interest, you can expect it to be quite wet, muddy road conditions and not too nice a time to be out & about.
I'm waiting for the Sun to come out to get in some horseback riding here!

Yeah, I've been watching the weather and worried it's gonna put a damper on this trip. I don't mind getting a little soggy, but my kids might not appreciate it. Hopefully it doesn't ruin all the fishing. How is FS 360 up above beaver creek reservoir after rains like this? Is it passable without 4wd?

I have no knowledge of the FR 360 road conditions. I don't often get over in that area of GMU 80. I usually stay East of Pino Creek Rd. which run South off Hwy 160 on the West side of Del Norte. (It's closer to home).

Well, I didn't get to scout very much as I spent most of my trip hanging out with the kids, but I did get away one afternoon and hiked for a while. put in an eight mile round trip and found lots of sign, saw several mulies, and I know I bumped a small group of elk walking in because I saw their tracks on the way out and they weren't there on the way in. Found a bedding area and a couple of water sources. All in all it was a good scouting trip and it gave me some confidence that I could maybe at least come up here and find some cows.

If you wish to stay in touch with me, that would be fine. I enjoy helping others when I can, and spend a lot of time astride my horses in Unit 80, as I'm retired. We're having some very odd August weather this year, with lots of cool and rainy weather that has kept me out of the high country more than usual.
My Elk season ramps up in only a few weeks with the muzzleloading season starting. I have friends from Wisconsin coming out bowhunting, so we'll be packed in 4 1/2 miles from a trailhead to give it a whirl. Even with two horses and a mule, it's going to take multiple trips to haul all the stuff we'll be using to set up a camp. I went back to this campsite a couple weeks ago, and cut some firewood, and the lightning was way too close for comfort!

Well, I didn't get to scout very much as I spent most of my trip hanging out with the kids, but I did get away one afternoon and hiked for a while. put in an eight mile round trip and found lots of sign, saw several mulies, and I know I bumped a small group of elk walking in because I saw their tracks on the way out and they weren't there on the way in. Found a bedding area and a couple of water sources. All in all it was a good scouting trip and it gave me some confidence that I could maybe at least come up here and find some cows.
How did the hunt that year go for you? Funny thing is I have been really dialing in on the exact area you have mentioned here so would love to get some feedback if you don’t mind. I love the higher elevation in this area and also have marked out several watering holes with pinch points nearby along with some dense looking forest spread all throughout.

How did the hunt that year go for you? Funny thing is I have been really dialing in on the exact area you have mentioned here so would love to get some feedback if you don’t mind. I love the higher elevation in this area and also have marked out several watering holes with pinch points nearby along with some dense looking forest spread all throughout.
This thread has been dead for almost 7 years.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back