Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado Unit 54 Cow Elk Muzzleloader Hunt

Hey All, I head out on the 9th for my CO hunt. Right now my Plan A is to access the west elk wilderness of Rte 727 just below squirrel creek, and to hunt west and north into the wilderness.

Any recommendations from those who have hunted 54 in the past on my plan and/or on best place to find a cow would be very much appreciated. I'm willing to work as hard as I need to to get into them.

Thanks!

No info for you but good luck with your hunt. Im hoping to do a muzzle loader cow hunt for my first elk hunt in a couple years.

Don't know about this time of year, but i expect the cows are going to be just as hard if not harder to find than the bulls. I found that out last year.

I'm a little fuzzy on what access you're talking about. Do you mean the Mill Castle trailhead? I hunted 54 last year during first rifle and most elk were still pretty high.

I hunted that unit for 8 days this season and saw elk every day and plenty within range. I didn't seal the deal as a shot didn't present itself for me but the other guy in my hunting party called a bull into him and punched his tag. If your willing to hike 8 miles I could tell you a terrific spot :)

I hunted that unit for 8 days this season and saw elk every day and plenty within range. I didn't seal the deal as a shot didn't present itself for me but the other guy in my hunting party called a bull into him and punched his tag. If your willing to hike 8 miles I could tell you a terrific spot :)

This goes along with what I saw, which is that the a lot of the high country you want is pretty far in there. Lots of elk, but not necessarily hanging out a short hike from your car... Good unit to have a horse in! And yet, lest you think I'm pissing on your future parade, I did get lucky and find one elk that was accessible to us non-horse-owning, non-Olympic-athlete types :D

I'm just a flat lander from South Dakota, I don't own any trail horses and definitely not a Olympic athlete! It's a hard hike. But I do what I have to do to be successful.

I'm just a flat lander from South Dakota, I don't own any trail horses and definitely not a Olympic athlete! It's a hard hike. But I do what I have to do to be successful.

Sorry, wasn't trying to write you off as some sort of fitness-freak. I didn't communicate it well, but was more digging at myself, as I felt pretty wimpy when I was out there last Fall. The altitude hit me a bit harder than I thought...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ss8
Back