Caribou Gear

Colorado SB 22-031 Ban on Bobcat and Lion Hunting

It would be nice if we could get something together on a Friday afternoon. A lot of guys and gals aren’t gonna be able to take off work to go to this in the middle of the day middle of the week. I will be there though. Thanks for posting.
That's the day the bill will be calendared for its first committee hearing.

So is the legislative process that it has to have a hearing once introduced or can a sponsor ask for the bill to be pulled before?

Since CO can't seem to follow CA fast enough in so many ways, I enjoy waiving around CA data in the face of some of the more ridiculous CO propositions.

CA lion depredation data 2010-2020

From 2015-2020, now well after banning taking lions, some 455 lions have been killed. So it's not like anyone is actually saving kitties.

In that same time frame 1206 depredation permits have been issued. In case there is anyone left on the side of banning hunts who cares about stewardship of the tax dollar, there's this: I don't know what the time/resource demand on the state is to issue those permits, but it cannot be zero. That effort is in contrast to how they could have been making money, instead of spending it, if they were issuing hunting and trapping permits.

My strictly-numbers point, if you can get anyone to leave emotion out of the conversation, is that lions are still going to be killed with or without the ban. Why not make money instead of just spending it?

Just want to say the "how" and "why" of this flyer are nicely worded.
My only qualm is with "STOP THE ANTIS" and "SAVE THE HUNT." The first is not wrong, but it lumps a lot of people together who are not necessarily together (NJ cat ladies and anti-trapping Coloradans, etc) and it has a negative connotation. I prefer messages that are positive, like "Keep wildlife management in the hands of professionals." The 2nd one implies a selfish motive. I would prefer something that focuses on the wildlife.

I do like the message about being polite, respectful, etc. This will not be the last anti-hunting/trapping bill this legislature sees and if they have a positive experience with the pro-hunting crowd this time, it will pay dividends later.

So is the legislative process that it has to have a hearing once introduced or can a sponsor ask for the bill to be pulled before?
I believe it gets a hearing even if the sponsor intends to kill it.

See the attached letter that was delivered today to the Senate Ag and Natural Resources Committee.

Please attend the press conference and formal announcement regarding the formation of the Colorado Wildlife Conservation Project at 12:30 PM, Thursday, February 3, on the east steps of the Colorado State Capitol.

Attachments

• CWCP_Letter_Opposition to SB-031.pdf
    592 KB · Views: 5
My only qualm is with "STOP THE ANTIS" and "SAVE THE HUNT." The first is not wrong, but it lumps a lot of people together who are not necessarily together (NJ cat ladies and anti-trapping Coloradans, etc) and it has a negative connotation. I prefer messages that are positive, like "Keep wildlife management in the hands of professionals." The 2nd one implies a selfish motive. I would prefer something that focuses on the wildlife.

Agree.

Who is going to be at the Capitol this afternoon showing your support for science-based wildlife management and the North American Model? I have a conflicting meeting with Nada Culver to advocate for science-based management of BLM lands. ;)

“Colorado Wildlife Conservation Project” Defeats Bill Banning Lion & Bobcat Hunting

Brand new coalition notches first win for science-based wildlife management

DENVER, CO – Colorado hunting, angling, and conservation organizations have joined forces in a new alliance, the Colorado Wildlife Conservation Project (CWCP), for the purpose of providing a unified voice in supporting responsible wildlife management in the state. The alliance is celebrating early success with today’s defeat of Senate Bill 22-031, aimed at prohibiting the hunting of bobcat and mountain lions in the state.

The CWCP, which formally announced its alliance today on the east steps of the Colorado State Capitol, has courted the membership of twenty different national, state, and regional wildlife and conservation organizations. The alliance collectively represents tens-of-thousands of hunters, anglers and outdoor enthusiasts across the state. The CWCP is steadfast in their commitment to ensure the responsible management of wildlife continues to be conducted by professional biologists and wildlife experts at Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) informed by the best-available science.

“There has long been a need for sportsmen and women to unite around wildlife and conservation objectives and policies,” said Gaspar Perricone, former Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commissioner. “Today marks the beginning of that effort and I have every bit of confidence that CWCP will well serve the principle of science-based wildlife management now and in the future.”

Dan Gates, Chair of the Coloradans for Responsible Wildlife Management noted, "The hunting and angling community has provided over a century of support for Colorado’s wildlife populations while conserving their habitat. Our contributions have resulted in the establishment of 350 State Wildlife Areas and countless benefits to the recovery and sustainability of Colorado’s 960 wildlife species. We are proud of our contributions to wildlife and the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation”

SB22-031 would have directly circumvented the statutory authority and expertise of CPW and the CPW Commission to advance the goals of special interests who do not reflect the opinion of the majority of Coloradans. The alliance directed thousands of calls and emails to members of the General Assembly in opposition to the bill, which resulted in three of the four original sponsors pulling their name from the bill.

The failure of SB22-031 to advance out of the Senate Agriculture Committee is a testament to the efforts of CWCP and their representation of responsible management of wildlife resources in Colorado. The Committee’s decision today demonstrates their understanding of the need for continued science-based wildlife management in the state and the role that hunters and anglers play in both funding and maintaining sustainable populations of game and non-games species alike in Colorado.

Member organizations of CWCP went on to say -

“Sustainable, regulated, science-based harvest as conducted by CPW does not preclude the benefits experienced by those who engage in wildlife viewing or photographic tourism, as the proponents of SB22-031 suggest,” said Ellary TuckerWilliams, Senior Coordinator, Rocky Mountain States for the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation.“When properly managed using the best available science by the experts at CPW, consumptive and non-consumptive user groups can coexist. CSF commends the Colorado House Agriculture and Natural Resource Committee for supporting CPW’s role as the foremost experts in managing Colorado’s native felines as a public trust resource for all members of society, hunters included.”

“Defeating Senate Bill 31 is a great win for the CWCP and science-based wildlife management. I’m proud to have our volunteers, chapters and advocacy staff involved in the partnership and fighting on behalf of hunters and trappers. Safari Club International believes that sound science-based wildlife management involving hunting and trapping as the primary management tools, while maximizing opportunities for all huntable species, including cougars and bobcats, is necessary to the long-term health of wildlife,” said Laird Hamberlin, CEO, Safari Club International. "Hunters and trappers have long paid the way for conservation, both game and non-game wildlife, and maximizing opportunity for hunting and trapping is also key to long-term funding for all species.
“The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation advocates for scientific wildlife management overseen by state wildlife agency biologists and game managers,” said Blake Henning, RMEF chief conservation officer. “We are confident the coalition members that came together to oppose this legislation will be powerful allies as we fight for habitat, public access and other hunting issues.”

"The North American Model of Wildlife Conservation has proven to be a successful system to restore and safeguard fish and wildlife and their habitats," said Terry Meyers, Executive Director of the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society. "The RMBS will continue to advocate for sound wildlife management in Colorado with our partner organizations in CWCP."

“Wildlife needs to be managed using best-available science,” said Larry Desjardin, President of conservation group Keep Routt Wild. “This is a win for wildlife and wild places across the state, and we applaud the efforts from CWCP that made this result possible.”
###​

Who is going to be at the Capitol this afternoon showing your support for science-based wildlife management and the North American Model? I have a conflicting meeting with Nada Culver to advocate for science-based management of BLM lands. ;)
Another topic, but does that discussion encompass “wild” horses?

couldn't help but find this an interesting news release in the wake of the defeat on 22-031

coincidental, yes, entirely. but interesting. especially for the general readers of the daily camera.

couldn't help but find this an interesting news release in the wake of the defeat on 22-031

coincidental, yes, entirely. but interesting. especially for the general readers of the daily camera.

One of the photo groups I post to on Facebook has been posting lots of lion pics out of Boulder lately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back