Colorado Pronghorn New Unit

bigbear045

Hey Guys,

First time poster and I have a question for you all. I live in Colorado and have been hunting big game going into my 4th season and love it. No previous hunting experience and use shows like randy's to figure this game out on my own. I have a few pronghorn points and there is new rifle unit for 2016 I might apply for. What is a decent strategy for applying for a new unit/hunt code. Should I use my points on something like this? Colorado pronghorn points seem pretty valuable and not something to waste. My plan was along was to keep hunting elk and deer in Colorado until I have a good idea of how I would like to use these pronghorn points, but this new unit has great public access...so lets do this right?!?

Thanks

BigBear

You can do OTC archery and still build points. You can get muzzleloader buck tags with just a couple of points in some really good units. Rifle tags take several points in most places, so I would keep doing OTC archery and building points. That way you can get a buck every year :D

I don't archery hunt (fly fishing is my main game, gotta draw the line somewhere and I am going to stick with rifle hunting for a awhile yet).

I realize there are non rifle tags I can easily get. I just don't want to burn my points on new hunt code, when I didn't need to. My question is more how does someone look into applying from a points perceptive when there is no historical drawing information.

Thanks

Can't help at all, but welcome to the forum. Johns advise seems pretty sound. I'm sure some others will have some suggestions as well.

The problem with new hunt codes is that guys with high points will jump into it and blow the point creep out of proportion. That happened to me when they started a 4th season deer hunt in unit 70 a few years ago. I've been a point or two behind the creep every year since guys with 10 points jumped on it when it started the first year. So, with a new hunt code, you can try the odds and if you don't draw, you get a point, at least. Then after the draw you can check the point statistics. New hunt codes can be rough, but there's no harm in jumping in on it.

I love to fly fish as well. I got into it when I got back from Iraq. I fish in Pueblo a lot and I like fishing my way through Bighorn Sheep Canyon.

Last edited:
I take the perspective of apply and hope. I like to try out new hunt codes, seems like it takes a year for everyone else to catch up. I also think a large percentage of hunters never look at a brochure except to verify their hunt codes before applying.

As long as the gmu has public land, and the hunting atlas (on dow site) says the game is in that vicinity I like the adventure.

I did a quick search when I got my brochure, I would be hesitant to throw points in that gmu, but if you are sitting on a low amount, it might be worth it? I find it's always better to hunt than play the point game waiting.

Most of the available habitat in 48 is on private... and this unit will be added to an existing group, 56 and 481 which required 4+ Pref Points last year. I would guess this years PP needed to be similar.
48, 481 and 56 have a population of 130
Rifle (56, 481) tag took 4+ point to draw last year - 10 tags issues, 6 bucks taken
Muzzleloader tag took 1+ point to draw last year - 10 tags issued, 0 taken
Archery is over the counter but 52 people surveyed hunted the three units and 0 bucks were taken.
I'd look elsewhere to spend your points and pick up archery while you wait!

as I just posted I looked and saw that Josh has almost the exact opposite experience than I do with new units.

Okay, that was some great info. I didn't realize that it was added onto another hunt code or I would have looked up that information. I only have 3 points so I guess it doesn't really matter with 4 needed. Apply....keep collecting points...and see what shakes out.

Gotta figure out a WY spot so I have a shot this season.

Thanks boys.

Most of the available habitat in 48 is on private... and this unit will be added to an existing group, 56 and 481 which required 4+ Pref Points last year. I would guess this years PP needed to be similar.
48, 481 and 56 have a population of 130
Rifle (56, 481) tag took 4+ point to draw last year - 10 tags issues, 6 bucks taken
Muzzleloader tag took 1+ point to draw last year - 10 tags issued, 0 taken
Archery is over the counter but 52 people surveyed hunted the three units and 0 bucks were taken.
I'd look elsewhere to spend your points and pick up archery while you wait!

I agree. I wouldn't burn points here. Check out the hunt atlas. All the pronghorn country is shown on the private.

A lot depends upon what you want out of your Colo antelope experience. If you take a look through the B&C books there are very few antelope that come out of Colo that make the all time list. There are a few counties that are noted for book animals. The NW Colo units have been struggling with antelope numbers for quite some time and it doesn't look like this winter is going to help. If record book animals really don't matter you can likely find a respectable buck in any unit in Colo. Obviously there is higher demand drawing tags in units with more public land. I really see no reason to wait and build pref pts in Colo unless there is a particular unit you may enjoy hunting. You will likely get a "respectable" buck in any unit that is open...especially if you put time into researching and scouting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back