Colorado gmu 75/751

Hferrin701

I'm heading into the high country of these units for early season archery mulies. Hoping to find out if anyone has hunted this area with any suggestions or any luck you'd like to share. I'm looking at hunting around mt Rhoda. Thanks

I have hunted that area in September a few times. I never saw a ton of deer, but I did see some up in the Lime Mesa/Silver Mesa/West Silver Mesa area. The hiking isn't too bad up there, but the road to the Lime Mesa Trailhead is really rough the last two miles.
There's also a lot of good-looking country up Endlich Mesa.
The best buck I ever saw in 75/751 was way, way up at the head of Grizzly Gulch deep in the Weminuche. The buck was hanging out in mountain goat country. It's a really beautiful place to hunt. I would consider carrying an elk tag too if you can. I usually saw more elk than deer.

Last edited:
John if my research is correct as a nonresident the tag is nearly a lock with one preference point. So i dont know for sure but im planning for it anyway. Thanks for all your input, I was looking at whitehead gulch below Mt. Rhoda but there seems to be alot of hikers and trails through that area. Endlich Mesa looks good but it also looks super thick compared to the alpine basins in slighly higher country. Am I wrong about that? I was hoping to get into alpine areas above treeline.

There's plenty of timber up Endlich Mesa, but that country opens up once you get up high. It's not hard to get high either because the road to the Endlich Mesa trailhead takes you clear up near the top.

Have you checked out GMU 74? If you have a pref point and you want to hunt mule deer bucks in that corner of the state, GMU 74 is the unit best known for big bucks. You should draw it with one point. You would have last year anyway.

rmyoung 1, I have read that and was considering putting 74 as my first choice. I guess my next question is where to hunt. Do you have any suggestions for me as to areas to look at? Im scanning google earth and researching but it seems most of the high country in that unit is full of trails and roads. I was hoping to get 4 or 5 miles in away from those things. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Find a trail that goes uphill that far You will get away from most people. And besides the trail doesn't cover the entire mountain. I have found a great elk spot that has a major hiking trail thru it. But it's 5 miles in and 2000 ft up. I have seen one hiking couple up there. One guy getting his horse some excercise and one hunter that lives about 10 mins from the trailhead

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back