PEAX Equipment

Colorado Elk hunt advice

illinoisdeerfarmer

I am in dire need of some good advice on Colorado elk hunting. I am a complete beginner to elk hunting. I went back in 2006 to GMU 18 the first week of archery. But never seen nor heard a single elk. I have to do the DIY hunts due to the budget. I have saved up a total of 5 preference points. I know that is not enough to get me in a great unit. I don't have alot of friends that hunt, so it will also be a solo archery hunt. The question I really need some serious advice on is which unit is best for a solo beginning elk bowhunter? I have looked over tons of forums, maps, data, etc. But it is very overwhelming to just try to pick a spot with very limited knowledge. Any advice you guys might have would be GREATLY appreciated. I know most folks don't want to give out their "secret spot" locations and respect that. I'm just looking for any help at all. Thanks in advance!!!

Are you stuck on archery only? IMHO/E to many guys new to the elk game go archery or bust. Look at the success rates between archery and rifle seasons, it can be pretty substantial. I would learn elk habits and habitat and knock a few down with a rifle first before handicapping yourself. Contrary to most hunting shows out there most public land elk won't come running into a call. Those hunts are usually private land and/or limited entry. You can still call elk here, but I have seen them slip in quietly, observe, and then leave before we even knew what was going on.

In regards to your pref points. You are kinda of at a point where I don't know if they can really do any thing for you. CO is an opportunity state. Most tags can be drawn with 0-2 points. The next step up is tags that take 15 plus years to draw. Their isn't very much middle ground here in CO. Check out the link I attached below. That shows how many points you need to draw a particular tag. There is a few that take 5 points. I can't tell you how the unit is because I have never hunted them. Your best bet might be to get something that only takes a few points. 12, 23, 24 have a ton of elk. Also very high success cow elk hunts would be within your reach as well.

Best of luck!

I would go for a cow elk in an area/unit that has a history of a large elk herd and high hunter success I like units 4 and unit 12.
In unit 4 look at the area around Angle Springs or further east California Park.Unit 12 ,Sleepy Cat peak is usually pretty good along with Rough Creek drainage.
Just a couple of places to start with.These are on National Forest and open to public.These areas are popular areas ,but they are popular for a reason.They hold elk.

I would try further south.....like maybe unit 62 or 70. It's heavily hunted, but for a reason, because there is lots of game. The terrain isn't too crazy, and you should see elk if you get a little ways from the road.

Thanks for the advice guys! It is very much appreciated. Also Rooster52...thank you so much for the detailed areas within the units. That is what I am really struggling with is picking a specific spot within the unit. I guess I was thinking archery might mean less crowds. I was kicking around the thought of muzzle loader hunts as well. I just want to avoid seeing nothing but people while I am out there. I was hoping to find a unit that would have either sex tags available. Noting at all against the opportunity at a cow...but would be great to have a tag in my pocket if even a smaller bull came by. I am more into the "hunt" than the "kill". I would be fine with coming home empty handed if I had a fun hunt and actually got the opportunity to see or hear elk.

Look into unit 11 and 211 they have other archery tags and muzzleloader tags can be draw fairly easy. Lots of elk if you can get away from the roads.

i would talk to the hunt planners @ co dow.they are very helpful. i would get a rifle tag. since $is an issue get a cow tag.i i got my first co elk last year(a cow).if you are by yourself hav a plan to get an elk out,get into the dark timber. there was 4 of us and it about did us in to get 1 cow elk out(to the road)learn how to cut elk up in field-dont 1/4 it.very important-co dow hAS A VIDEO.BRING MEAT BAGS.GO TO WHERE THER ARE A LOT OF ELK.APPLY FOR FIRST SEASON/IF UNSUCESSFUL GO 2ND/3RDANYWAY.JOIN ROCKY MT ELK FOUNDATION,GOOD MAGAZINE-LEARN A LOT.TALK TO ELK HUNTERS.TRY TO GO W/SOME GUYS WHO HAV HAD SUCCESS.MY FIRST ELK I WENT W/MY NEIGHBOR FROM WY AND HIS BROTHER WHO STILL LIVES IN WY AND GETS INTO ELK EVERY YR.HELPED ME A LOT.GETTHE REGS&READ THEM.THER IS A LOT TO LEARN GOOD LUCK. GO CYCLONES!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back