MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado drop camp suggestions?

Sjy5056

Hello all I am new to site. It really is a wealth of information I am from pa and was looking into doing a drop camp second season rifle hunt. I am looking into Adams Lodge Outfitters out of Meeker Co they hunt in unit 24 the flat tops. I was wondering if anyone had any testimonials or experience with them or possibly some suggestions on other good drop camp outfitters in that area thanks again I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Don't know of the outfit your talking about.But, I did a drop camp about 8 years back with Gunnison Country Outfitters and took a archery bull,and my partner should have taken one too but froze up.If your a bowhunter, I suggest a drop camp then instead of 2nd rifle.Easy to find elk and less pressure.I'm from Pa too;eastern side in the Poconos

Welcome! I'm from pa too, southwest corner. I don't have any info on the outfitter but I've hunted 24 a couple times.

Hey guys thanks for the info nice to meet you all. I am from southwest pa about an hour south of pittsburgh. Really looking to making it back out there this year! I have hunted in co twice both times unguided and we just hiked in and set up spike camp and hunted from there. Hunted in units 11 and 211 and have not seen one elk in both trips. That's why I was leaning toward a drop camp obviously they are cheaper than a guided hunt and get you a little further away from the road than we were able to hike our camp in. So I'm really hoping it helps our odds of at least seeing some game. Plus the heated tents will defiantly be a nice plus. As I literally froze my tail off in that little Coleman tent for a week!

I did a drop camp with Rivers Bend Outfitting run by Tel Gates. They operate in the Flat Tops as well. I've got nothing but great things to say about them. They went out of their way to ensure we had a great time! There's a write up on the trip and a link to a video later on in the link below. Tell 'em Jason from Louisiana sent you! I'd be happy to answer any questions!

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=261130

Hey Bigeasygator, let me start by saying that is a very commendable write up very detailed I know that took you some time to write. But that is really a wealth of information and guys like me really appreciate some valid insight like that there is no better I go than someone who has been there and done and seen how the operation works again great job and congrats on the success it really seemed like you guys had an awesome and succesful time. That is really all a guy can ask for out of a hunt like that to share those times and that country in a wilderness location with family and your best buddies. Thanks a lot for that it is much appreciated that unit and the flat tops look amazing! Any advice or insight you think would be useful would be beyond greatly appreciated and I am going to look into your outfitter as well. Best regards and thank you again!

Glad you liked it! The first elk hunt I went on was a drop camp in the Flat Tops in 2008. It was the elk hunting experience I hoped it would be...classic elk country and a classic experience. I've been on eight elk hunts since then. This last trip in the Flat Tops with River's Bend was everything that first trip was and more. Feel free to PM me with any additional questions!

Hello all I am new to site. It really is a wealth of information I am from pa and was looking into doing a drop camp second season rifle hunt. I am looking into Adams Lodge Outfitters out of Meeker Co they hunt in unit 24 the flat tops. I was wondering if anyone had any testimonials or experience with them or possibly some suggestions on other good drop camp outfitters in that area thanks again I look forward to hearing from you guys!

The advantage of drop camps is that you get transport to a basic camp set up in good elk country well away from the madding crowds of roadside hunting camps. Generally, that's a big advantage that will considerably improve your odds. Ideally the outfitter will advise about where and how to hunt the area, check on your welfare and pack your meat in a timely manner. Everything else from meals, firewood for the stove, to personal comfort and survival needs are your responsibility. Just make sure they provide enough potable water on site.

I've been to Adams Lodge and knew the previous owners but never hunted from the camp and am not familiar with their drop camps. But, I've backpacked, rode, fished and hunted that area for decades. It's fine elk country.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back