MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado Bill might raise license fees up to 50%

When they are driving around in $65k pickups it's not a surprise they want more money....

1st resident increase since 2005, while NRs have annual price increases. I'm in favor of resident price increase, to increase residents' leverage in wildlife decisionmaking. When CPW has to decide whether policies should favor NRs, who fund half the agency's annual budget, or residents, who contribute a fraction of NRs' amount, we residents would benefit from more of a financial lever.

This thread is a little late to the party...This topic has been beat to death.

My resident license in TN is around $166 for all big game, fishing, and waterfowl. Still pretty cheap compared to going to the movies.
HD

1st resident increase since 2005, while NRs have annual price increases. I'm in favor of resident price increase, to increase residents' leverage in wildlife decisionmaking. When CPW has to decide whether policies should favor NRs, who fund half the agency's annual budget, or residents, who contribute a fraction of NRs' amount, we residents would benefit from more of a financial lever.

Now that's funny! Would be nice but ain't how things work! Read commission bio's for a start and look at past decisions :rolleyes:

But after they get this passed they can get to work fixing the dams, updating hatcheries and improving fishing access :hump:

They are just posting numbers for resident licences. I would like to see the numbers for Non-Resident. I know my card just got $1400 billed to it and that was just for 3 tags. Just think when I decide to start building for moose, big horn, and Mtn. Goat! Yea, I get a refund for the tags I don't draw, but they get to keep some of my money. I guess if I was a CO resident I would want to make sure the money was being "managed" correctly. Also does it make since for them to charge a full price of a tag for someone just wanting a preference point and then mailing them a refund later? Just seems like a waste vs just charging them a preference point charge and not worrying about a refund check.

As a NR I am in favor of this. I am fine with paying more money then a resident but at the same time our price goes up every year. At some point they will start losing NR's (if they haven't already) and we found the majority of their budget.

Last edited:
They are just posting numbers for resident licences. I would like to see the numbers for Non-Resident. I know my card just got $1400 billed to it and that was just for 3 tags. Just think when I decide to start building for moose, big horn, and Mtn. Goat! Yea, I get a refund for the tags I don't draw, but they get to keep some of my money. I guess if I was a CO resident I would want to make sure the money was being "managed" correctly. Also does it make since for them to charge a full price of a tag for someone just wanting a preference point and then mailing them a refund later? Just seems like a waste vs just charging them a preference point charge and not worrying about a refund check.

I was wondering the same thing with the preference point. What is the point of that?

I should have been or specific. Not just elk but total fees for NR. Still 37.3 million of elk is quite a chunk.

Sorry for the post. I edited it. I hit enter and it put it as a post before I was ready to send it.

Not sure if they are putting all of the money in some interest bearing account and making something off of it?? Seems like a lot of work and waste of money to me. I know it makes the wife a bit uneasy when she sees that $$ figure hit our books and I have to explain that I am getting a refund for "most" of it. South Dakota I go on and buy a Preference point for $20 and that is that, sure makes it easy and keeps the peace around the house.

I was wondering the same thing with the preference point. What is the point of that?

Slows down point creep and makes you invest in drawing a tag, look at Utah with just a $10 fee for applying for a sheep, everyone throws an app at that state. I think this is one of the best strategies CO employs.

Slows down point creep and makes you invest in drawing a tag, look at Utah with just a $10 fee for applying for a sheep, everyone throws an app at that state. I think this is one of the best strategies CO employs.

I agree. It doesn't cost you much money in the long run, but you have to be pretty serious about it to cut that check.

Colorado needs to figure out how to quit paying millions to the credit card companies for unsuccessful applications. New Mexico has always refunded back to your credit card and Wyoming finally figured it out last year. Even at $20 per app they aren't even covering the credit card fees on deer and elk. When I did the math on Wyoming a few years ago the low estimate was $800,000 of credit card fees they could save simply by refunding unsuccessful applicants back to the credit card instead of cutting checks. I would assume it is even more for Colorado. The interest they might be earning is TINY compared to the 3% off the top in credit card fees.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back