NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Colorado 68 / 681, would like to chat with anyone familiar.........

Arrow Guru

I have hunted elk in 68 in the early season archery twice. I got very close the second time. I have a pretty good lay of the land of the far west end of 68. After hunting the west three times with a bow I made a decision. One that is big for me at least. After not killing a mammal with a firearm since 2000 I bought a rifle. I want to come out on either a OTC first rifle elk tag or a draw deer tag. Which if I read correctly would be legal in 68 and 681. I have not set foot in 681 and only the far west end of 68. Mainly Machin Lake basin and Benito Lake basin. I haven't been into Half Moon Pass yet.

I'd like to talk to someone that has hunted 681 and might know a bit about the eastern side of 68. I imagine in that October hunt that the bulls are done rutting and will be looking for sanctuary. I am almost think it would be better to go on a deer tag for several reasons. I believe them to be more plentiful and packing a deer out is going to be easier than packing an elk out.

I am planning on a solo back pack hunt. Having said that, is 681 a walk in unit like 68 or does it have a road system?

For the right person, I'd also consider teaming up. Past experience has taught me that you need to hunt with the right person.

Anyway, any discussion is welcome. If you do not want to discuss in the open, PM me and I will trade #'s

Thanks guys

FYI - I believe that all first rifle elk tags are draw only state wide. Not sure if there is a deer season that overlaps with first rifle. Bulls should still be rutting in early October.

I hunted 681 in 2011 for mule deer 3rd season but I mostly hunted the center of the unit, NW of Saguache. We scouted the eastern part of 68 but saw quite a few camps so we stayed in 681. 681 has roads in it but there's plenty of space to get away from them, I saw very few other hunters during my week of hunting.

Elk first season is a draw tag in CO, only the 2nd and 3rd seasons are OTC. If you put in the draw for a mule deer tag for either of those seasons you can then pick up an elk tag OTC.

You are correct that a mule deer tag is good for 68/681, it's also good for 682 but 682 is mostly all private in the valley(where we saw lots of elk). We didn't see many elk in 681, be aware that population and success rate is pretty low for that area, at least it was when I hunted it. It is nice to have both tags in your pocket though just in case. Good luck and if you have any questions let me know.

I've hunted elk first season and second season in CO and the bulls are usually still bugling during first season, and a lot of times during second season too.

Last edited:
Not a lot of walk in on the east side of 68. There's elk on the east side, some in areas you wouldn't really consider. Think outside the box, and you will have elk, and the land all to yourself. Honestly though, the numbers in 68 seem to be way down the last few years. It wouldn't be my first choice for an elk hunt

I think I meant the 2nd season. It's around October 20th and is about 5 days I guess. The southern part of 68 around sheep mountain and twin peaks looks like a lot of hunters might over look it. I have done several trips with a hunting partner and it just never worked out quite like I wanted. I am planning my first solo trip. I picked 68 simply because of being familiar. I almost feel like for my first solo, the deer tag might be a bit easier to fill. I thought that the deer season and the 2nd elk run together but maybe not.

They do. It was just stated wrong in the original post. People might figure that's what you meant but you never know these days lol. And for your hunting pleasure the 2nd season is 9 days long. Never been to 68 so all I have is good luck

Do you have any deer preference points? 2nd season for deer takes 3 points.

I don't. I saw that, but that's not too bad I can plan a few years out. Might be a good thing to buy a OTC 2nd season elk tag and just use it to get familiar with more of that unit, se where they deer are and maybe get a chance at an elk. I wonder if there are areas in 68 that might be far enough out to get away from the crowds. I also wonder that on any elk unit that the 2nd season OTC tag is good for are any different as far as hunting pressure.

Back