Colorado 3rd Season rifle advice, first timer

SwampLander

Hello,
First time elk hunting this year! Recent divorce finds me not needing to rationalize hunting anymore I can just go. With that I have never been to CO. Having a time narrowing down a good unit. Got a couple in mind just from looking at stats. Just gonna use my 270 deer rifle I reload and have some good ammo to use. With my gear I am looking at only getting things I absolutely need like good boots and a better scope. To help narrow my objective I intend to camp where I can get my truck to and hopefully not in snow. I will drive to a trail head and head in each day. I am doing this because it fits the camping gear I have. Any advise is valued.

Hunting pressure will have moved bulls into the uglier terrain. Spend more time looking there, with looking being the use of optics. Amazing how many elk I glass in Colorado while just sitting in one spot and eyeballing as many likely areas as I can from one place.

Good luck.

I can offer no help on Colorado elk, but one thing I recommend is getting chains for your truck and learn how to get them on properly. I've not had to use mine yet, but it gives me great peace of mind knowing they're there if I need them.

Best of luck to you..

3rd season deer runs during the same dates. Have a GPS and paper map if possible. Snow is pretty likely during this season (last year was not the norm). Depending on where you are, just getting the roads out of your sightline can give you a big advantage.

All this said, you've looked at the data so you know success rates on antlered elk can be thin. CO is awesome no matter how you shake it. Hunt safe/smart and you'll have a good time.

Might want to make a scouting trip this summer just to get acquainted with the terrain you might encounter. Google Earth doesn't do some of the those slopes justice I promise lol.

3rd season be prepared for snow! Put a lot of thought into how you will get your elk out once you kill him!

Might want to make a scouting trip this summer just to get acquainted with the terrain you might encounter. Google Earth doesn't do some of the those slopes justice I promise lol.

I'll second the fact that Google Earth doesn't do a lot of those slopes justice.

110% correct.

Prior to boots on dirt - one thing that has helped me a lot and I can't believe I did without - is to increase the 'Elevation Exaggeration' value in Google Earth to 1.25 (or thereabouts). The setting is in Preferences:

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 9.45.19 AM.jpg

110% correct.

Prior to boots on dirt - one thing that has helped me a lot and I can't believe I did without - is to increase the 'Elevation Exaggeration' value in Google Earth to 1.25 (or thereabouts). The setting is in Preferences:

View attachment 71275

Oh hell this terrain exaggeration is a game changer!!!

x3 for you'll absolutely underestimate the terrain steepness. My first elk hunt in colorado it baffled me how long it takes to get places due to hope steep the terrain is.

Thanks great advise. Im loking into unit 43. It semed to have good stats unill 2015. Going to cal biologist about that. Does anyone know if we can hunt wildernes designated land within the unit we are hunting?

Thanks great advise. Im loking into unit 43. It semed to have good stats unill 2015. Going to cal biologist about that. Does anyone know if we can hunt wildernes designated land within the unit we are hunting?

Yes you can hunt the wilderness in Colorado. The nonsense about nonresidents being banned from hunting wilderness is reserved for Wyoming.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back