color phase bear

jknoel

Hello,

I am a Wisconsin black bear guide (and thats all we have are black) I have allways wanted to harvest a color phase bear- cinamon or blonde and I have been trying to figure out where to go in Montana with a higher percentage of such? I was hoping to go this spring and am trying my best to figure this out but I keep going around in circles on the net- Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

I'd go to Northern Idaho personally. Pretty high chance of a color phase bear in either N. Idaho or W. MT, and Idaho's cheaper. There's some units where you can get two bear tags, both on the reduced price.

If you are wanting to do MT though, I'd look anywhere West of the divide and North of I-90. That's a huge area, but that entire area has pretty high bear densities. As far as color phase goes, I don't think you'd have a better chance in any specific part of the state. They'll be something like 30-50 percent of the bears no matter where you go.

Im assuming that Idaho has a over the counter non-resident tags? any particular unit in mind
Randy11

Yeah, it's almost all over the counter.
As for a specific unit, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a specific unit from someone. Pick a random spot of NF in the northern part of the state and go for it, there'll be bears in the area.

I'll second what Randy 11 said. Something else to keep in mind is when the season dates are. Here in the unit I hunt in NW Montana the season closes May 15, just when hunting is getting really good. May 10-31 is a prime time to hunt in my opinion. Choose an earlier date and its hit or miss with bears being out of hibernation and into good grass.

If our winter continues to be mild it should be a great spring hunt. Last year I couldn't get to where I wanted to hunt until the last couple days of the season.

Montana has OTC tags as well.
I haven't seen very many blondes but chocolate and cinnamon is a pretty common phase. I think a lot of blonde bears a young bears that turn darker as they get older but I don't know if I have scientific evidence to back that up.

Here's a couple of color phase bears that I and a friend shot.

Attachments

• 0425102045-1.jpg
    0425102045-1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 575
  • March07 125.jpg
    March07 125.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
Yeah, it's almost all over the counter.
As for a specific unit, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a specific unit from someone. Pick a random spot of NF in the northern part of the state and go for it, there'll be bears in the area.

Im sorry I dont understand when you say a (random spot of NF)?. Im not all that concerrened about getting a blonde bear- a cinamon or choclate would be great. I thought of using my 300 wsm- its probably a little more than what I need but Im thinking that the Griz lives in these parts as well. Is camping a good option (with a tent) at this time or maybe staying in some sort of shack- cabin a better idea. I have no problems in northern Wisconsin since I live here- just a little lost in uncharted area. Thanks for your time. Im not trying to do a plug here but if you would like to see some of the pics I acquired throughout the year you could google hunt the north go to big game and then wisconsin- we have a lot of fun here.

thanks,

Joe

He means anywhere on National Forest land. Forest Service. I would try to come as close to the last two weeks of May to be able to hunt right up the end of the season. You will need to look at the districts to see when the seasons end. Some end June 15, I think,in Region 2. We have implored FWP to do the same in Region 1, but they are afraid too many bears will be killed. We kill 50% of the black bears in MT in region 1. We are sick with them. I actually see more color phase than black.

Last edited:
Gerald: While I have seen two mature blonde bears--I agree with your statement that the young blonde bears darken up with age. I see a few young blonde cubs or yearlings each year, but they all seem to have cinnamon or chocolate legs. I think that leg color is a better resemblance of their adult color.

jknoel: I mainly hunt the island ranges (Snowies and Crazies) where the bear densities are lower than Northwest Montana. I have yet to shoot a 'black' black bear in Montana (It seems that we have a pile of chocolate bears). I have seen plenty of blacks but they just didn't have the maturity I desired. I would say your odds would be great to pick up a color-phase in the Northwest and there are a bunch of gated forest service roads to walk.

All: Aren't there certain units in the Northwest you have to restrict yourself to if you want to hunt them when you purchase your license? Region 1 maybe?

I saw that at the meeting...but the commission still has to approve it. Is there any support over there to retain it?

I saw that at the meeting...but the commission still has to approve it. Is there any support over there to retain it?

Not that I saw. Most want the season either extended to the 15th, or just moved back 15 days. The bio is just too fearful of overharvest. I don't think you can do that up here right now. Just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in bear hunting up here right now.

I argued to also follow ID and get rid of the requirement to take the meat out of the woods. I don't want that worm-ridden garbage. Something like 65-70% of our bears here are infected from what I understand. Lots of guys won't shoot a bear for that sole reason.

I want more bears whacked up here, I don't think they get near enough credit for damage to fawns and calves in that later june to July time period.

Not that I saw. Most want the season either extended to the 15th, or just moved back 15 days. The bio is just too fearful of overharvest. I don't think you can do that up here right now. Just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in bear hunting up here right now.

I argued to also follow ID and get rid of the requirement to take the meat out of the woods. I don't want that worm-ridden garbage. Something like 65-70% of our bears here are infected from what I understand. Lots of guys won't shoot a bear for that sole reason.

I want more bears whacked up here, I don't think they get near enough credit for damage to fawns and calves in that later june to July time period.

Okay boys you got me confused lol- Do I go to Montana or Idaho? I am like an ant on the trail here your ziggin too much either place is fine with me even at the license cost for Montana I know its higher but its till reasonable. I just would like to get a fair sized color bear to full mount if I have the money to do so. I just think that they are so neat looking- of course its something we do NOT have here. If anyone would like a bear as black as an ace of spades call me I will help you out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back