MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Cold weather fire kit?

Paul in Idaho

I was fortunate to kill a cow elk during my late muzzleloader season. Temperatures ranged from single-digits to below zero, so a warming fire to keep my fingers working seemed like a good idea. Lighting a fire wasn't easy, so I'm posting here to see if any of you have ideas to share.

My fire kit contains dry cotton balls in a sealed pill bottle, a fire steel, "strike anywhere" matches, and neosporin (double duty for first aid). I had tested all these items at home successfully. Unfortunately, it took many tries to get a fire started this time. The cold temperatures are the only thing I can think of as a reason. The cotton balls caught a spark instantly, but never did more than smolder and turn black. There was no flame like there had been during tests.

Since it wasn't an emergency, I experimented with different combinations to see what would work. The cotton didn't even smolder hot enough to ignite a match head it was wrapped around. It wouldn't get hot enough to ignite the petroleum jelly (neosporin) I had wrapped the cotton around either.

Then I switched to matches. So much for "strike anywhere" - it took 10 or more before one finally lit instead of just marking up the surface I tried to strike them on.

A couple days later I was in my base camp and tried again. By then, the temperature had risen to 34, and the cotton ball flamed instantly when the sparks hit it.

When I was a kid, matches could be struck on practically anything - rocks, metal, jeans zippers. Now it seems they just wear off the ignition material and snap and smoke a bit. I thought maybe they got less effective with age, but these were new this year. Back at home, I tried striking them on a disposable fingernail file. Not even that worked.

Even in mild conditions, there's a large number of duds in most boxes. Have any of you had trouble with matches in recent years?

I haven't carried a butane lighter for a while since many designs are hard to operate with gloves or cold fingers. Maybe its time to put one back into the kit.

I had good results last year on a late season hunt with those army surplus MRE heating cubes. I wish I could remember what they are actually called but they lit up pretty easy and held a flame long enough to get a good little fire going.

I buy coin sleeves, stuff them full of dryer lint then dip them in melted wax. When I go to light one, I cut one end, pull out some lint and light with a lighter. They burn long and hot. Never had any problems in cold temps. Ive tried using waterproof matches but seemed to have the same results that you mentioned with the strike anywhere.

I buy coin sleeves, stuff them full of dryer lint then dip them in melted wax. When I go to light one, I cut one end, pull out some lint and light with a lighter. They burn long and hot. Never had any problems in cold temps. Ive tried using waterproof matches but seemed to have the same results that you mentioned with the strike anywhere.

I do something similar, but I use egg cartons instead of coin sleeves. I put a piece of cotton string in it for a wick.

I had good results last year on a late season hunt with those army surplus MRE heating cubes. I wish I could remember what they are actually called but they lit up pretty easy and held a flame long enough to get a good little fire going.

Trioxane. That's what I used to carry, light and dependable.

I read somewhere that cigarette lighters don't work well in extreme cold. I've never used one when it was too cold to work. Is this true and if so, what do you use instead of a lighter?

I've only ever used vasalne soaked cotton balls. One strike with a farrow rod and your up and running. I do carry a bic for my main source of ignition though. Blue tip matches is what your looking for when it comes to light anywhere matches. Soak them in melted wax and your good to go.

Road flare.

This too... We wrecked my brothers truck early one morning looking for cat tracks and started one hell of a bon fire using a road flare in the middle of the back road we were on waiting for the tow truck to get there 4 hours later. That thing burned through the sheet of ice and down to dirt for a half hour under the fire. Kind of bulky to carry multiple flares for when you're actually hiking though.

I've only ever used vasalne soaked cotton balls. One strike with a farrow rod and your up and running. I do carry a bic for my main source of ignition though. Blue tip matches is what your looking for when it comes to light anywhere matches. Soak them in melted wax and your good to go.

This is what I carry. Soaked cotton or lint balls,starter steel,Blue tips in a match safe,lighter in pocket. I also collect pinion pine pitch balls.
Get a cotton ball going & throw some pinion pitch balls on and it will start a soaked log.Like solid rocket fuel...
....Somewhere I have a chunk of that too. Caught in a buddies troll net.Always fun on the 4th...lol

Cotton balls soaked with vasoline, magnesium block/flint, and strike anywhere long burn matches. About 60% of the match stick is covered with match fuel, they burn about 15 seconds. Road flare is not a bad idea for these late hunts though. One flare does not weigh that much.

Strike anywhere matches stink these days. They must have changed the way they make them. I use a fire steel and cotton balls with Vaseline on them. One time I put too much Vaseline in the cotton balls at it was hard to get them to fray enough to hold a spark and ignite.

1- Stormproof matches, made by UCO come 25 to a box, burn for 15 seconds, and will light even after submerging them in water.
2- Insta-Fire fire starter- burns at 1000 degrees, and will light wet wood. It comes in a granular form, in a small pack (1.75 ounces) which is enough for 4 fires. Burns on snow, ice, and even water. The leftover ash is a natural fertilizer (no nasty chemicals)

Been carrying both, but never had to use either one.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that cigarette lighters don't work well in extreme cold. I've never used one when it was too cold to work. Is this true and if so, what do you use instead of a lighter?

Road flare. Do people think I'm joking? Why are adults still trying to earn a merit badge?

This too... We wrecked my brothers truck early one morning looking for cat tracks and started one hell of a bon fire using a road flare in the middle of the back road we were on waiting for the tow truck to get there 4 hours later. That thing burned through the sheet of ice and down to dirt for a half hour under the fire. Kind of bulky to carry multiple flares for when you're actually hiking though.
. A 15 minute flare isn't that big and heavy.

I like the wet fire cubes. They work excellent and weigh nothing. Pair that up with a blast match and some storm mateches and you should be good to go.

I just use my stove (rocket) in nasty conditions. Angled downward it will fire up about anything in any conditions.

I have an altoids can full of vasoline soaked cotton balls, a couple wet fire cubes, and a small candle. For striking, a bic, storm matches, and a magnesium steel. I always use the candle, and a few of the cotton balls. I can light the candle and let it burn while adding kindling, grass, etc. I have used a stove in a pinch also. For fire and first aid, I go with the old saying, two is one and one is none.

SITKA Pre Season Savings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJMTA
Back