Caribou Gear Tarp

CO units 14 & 16???

Never hunted them, but driven through a few times. Beautiful area. Most of it is Routt National Forest, with a pretty big chunk being the Zirkel Wilderness Area.

Success rates aren't the best (it is OTC), but there are good numbers of elk in there.

This is a pretty handy tool, if you haven't stumbled across it yet..

http://ndis.nrel.colostate.edu/huntingatlas/

any info appreciated

Me and my hunting buddy Hunted unit 55 in 2011 and just ran into way to many people and offroaders. were looking at going to unit 14 &16 this year to hopefully get away from some of that. i was fortune it enough to take a good bull in unit 55. all we do is bow hunt and we are still learning. we will be going for two weeks and are planing on backpacking in as deep as possible or necessary. were some go getters so no challenge is too hard.

I've hunted 14 three times. They had a freak wind burst that knocked a bunch of trees down all in one direction ten or fifteen years ago. If you can get into that stuff you are free of the horse folks. Lots of areas without ATVs allowed, other areas for lots of ATVs, Wilderness along entire eastern side. This map http://www.amazon.com/Steamboat-Springs-Mount-Zirkel-Edition/dp/0966550870 is a work of art, showing not only what uses are allowed on which trails but difficulty of trail, and lots of other stuff, even has unit borders.

Most places low are private. I'm not familiar with the area up north by Steamboat Lake, there's a very long migration there from over in the Zirkel west into the next unit or further. One place that is ok after the snow flies is called "Emerald Mountain" or some such, Division of Wildlife negotiated access and it's just above the valley to the W, might be in the next unit, I'm not sure, I usually hunt over the counter there.

Mostly private along roads, and a heck of a lot of people like to go there because they can fly in. Airport has commercial flights. Steamboat is big enough to have all the stuff people like to do.

I found sure fire honey holes, but the hike out with meat was killer. Thousands of feet, miles of blow down. Friends have had luck up by Farwell Mountain. More normal hunting, less people 4wd roads. When wet the mud is slick. Chains. Buffalo Pass is jam packed with people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back