CO Natl forest "jeep trails" question

huntfishcamp

We were drawn for season one CO rifle and picked a spot in the Rout natl forest to set up base camp, 9'K foot range, but here's my question: Never been to CO before, will a 4x4 diesel pickup or 4x4 Excursion (with chains) get thru most of the "jeep trails" shown on the Natl forest maps? With a trailer? Snow's a huge factor, but when do you guys pull chocks from camp if your deep into a jeep trail w a normal 4x4 truck and it starts snowing? Thanks

Last edited:
The snow isn't usually too bad during 1st rifle season. Last year I was up trails during 3rd rifle over 11,000' in an 88 Ford Bronco. The issue will be the trailer. I couldn't have gotten any trailers up where I was. Is it a single axle, high clearance, heavy??? These factors will have a lot to do with where it can go.

Jeep trails can mean anything from a well traveled but rough trail to and overgrown hasn't been used in years, "those scratches aren't going to buff out" trail.

Unless you have prior experience on the trail, I wouldn't plan on being able to get a full sized rig and trailer though it. Many of the "unimproved" FS roads can be rough for a full size and not doable with a trailer....

We were drawn for season one CO rifle and picked a spot in the Rout natl forest to set up base camp, 9'K foot range, but here's my question: Never been to CO before, will a 4x4 diesel pickup or 4x4 Excursion (with chains) get thru most of the "jeep trails" shown on the Natl forest maps? With a trailer? Snow's a huge factor, but when do you guys pull chocks from camp if your deep into a jeep trail w a normal 4x4 truck and it starts snowing? Thanks

Any 4x4 will get you around all forest service roads, but when you start talking about jeep trails, the length of your vehicle will matter more. I have a ford expedition and will take it just about anywhere, common sense tells me when to stop on a jeep trail.

Snow during first season doesn't scare me as it won't last more than a day anyway. At most you are probably talking about 2-3 days of bad roads as it melts away, and normally it's the same day. I keep hunting and thank the good lord that I have snow to hunt in.

What GMU? Do you have an area in mind? I've been in Routt during 1st season before, conditions vary.

Shoot me a PM if you don't want to say in public. I'll see if I can tell you anything.

The roads I've been on with the jeep trail designation are really only four wheeler or off road enthusiast accessible. No way I'd ever think about taking a trailer on the ones I've seen.

Thanks all, one other questtion we are thinking about brining a 4 wheeler yet we plan to hunt where ATVs cannot go, only 1 atv for 5 of us, is there a benefit if we are truck / spike camping anyways? i guess if we dropped meat off on an ATV trail it might be nice to have one to get it the rest of the way back , otherwise it seems like it might not be worth it

One thing to think about before you take your truck down a narrow spur road or jeep trail is how much you enjoy driving in reverse. If you encounter an impassable obstacle in a spot that's too narrow for a turn around, you might have a difficult time backing out. Pay attention to your exit strategy. When a road starts getting nasty, odds are it's going to get worse before it gets better, and there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get to a turn around farther down the trail. It's always better to start walking before your truck is stuck, rather than after, and hunting is way more fun (for most of us) than unstucking a truck.

Depending on how far back in from the main forrest roads you want to set up camp, that ATV could come in handy for scouting road conditions ahead of the main group.

If you know specific road numbers, local knowledge will be your best bet. Ask the F.S., or even better see if there is a 4X4 club in the area and ask them.

Routt NF last year, second rifle. Seventy degrees so snow wasn't an issue but the roads, let alone "jeep trails"........ The FS road we were on was a poor goat trail at best. Budget cuts don't make for well maintained roads. Anyhow "mobility afoot" may be the key. Tip,,,,,, call the FS office in Steamboat or Yampa, they are good folks. Good luck and enjoy yourselves.

It really depends on where you are going to hunt, usually first rifle season is cold and you may get some good snow. Invest in some tire chains and you should be ok, jeep trails in CO vary alot some of them are not easy to traverse even in a 4WD and I've seen ATV's stuck on them so beware! Good hunting and good luck!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back