Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Co elk

crock239

Looking at potential elk hunt, OTC archery or muzzleloader in CO in 2013, first DIY trip. Hoping to connect w some folks here who have more experience.

Last edited:
I hunted 471 four or five years ago. That unit had alot of elevation to it and early on in the season the elk were up high but as people started to pound it they dropped off into the dark timber. Alot of over looked country not far off the highway I mean right off of it because everyone was trying to get into a trail head and hike 5 or so miles back in. I found alot of elk right off the highway by accident as a guy who was deer hunting pointed out to me that he was seeing elk every day just off the highway. Being that there is no overnight parking and the only way to get in there without having to come out every night was to come in from the backside of the mountain but everyone that was back on that side headed down the trail head. I can look up some more specifics if you are interested. I know the success rate is low for that area but I got close to a couple of nice bulls in there it just so happened to be my first year of elk hunting and I really didnt have a clue (not that I do now) what I was doing. Physical fitness would be key and planning the trip so that you have a extra day at base camp to get yourself adjusted wouild help out alot. I would also bivy hunt it and come out every few days to resupply this would allow you to cover the amount of ground needed. I met several nice resident elk hunters who were serious elk hunters who hunted the area for years and had good luck as well but they made it clear that it was a difficult hunt to put it nicely.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back